Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 09:51 PM

I feel sorry for Poodle people.

I feel so sorry for the poodle - well the lovers of the breed I wonder if they are pulling out their hair. So many "Oddles" about.
I actually really like Poodles and if I could bring myself to separate my heart from Staffords I would have a poodle a "real poodle!" not an Oddle.
Today I was out with Bella and after putting her in the car I went over to chat to a chap with a white miniature I went over looked at the dog and before I could say anything he said "He's castrated" I said "Okay" I just wondered about his miniature poodles breeding/health/etc as he looked a nice dog. He was kinda relieved and take aback I think he said loads of people ask him if he wants his dog to mate with anything from a pug to a Labrador and he was fed up.

I did feel for him. Such a lovely breed
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 07:22 AM
I also love poodles, if people really want an intelligent genuinely non shedding dog I can never understand why they don't just get a poodle in the first place.

I have upset people by just asking why they didn't just get a poodle, one of which I suspect has HD, I doubt wether many of the crosses are health tested and are often put to breeds that should always have at least their hips tested.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Me too, my two fave small breeds are toy poodle and Sheltie.

Makes you wonder if we will still have any Poodles in years to come!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Never thought of it that way but yes I always liked poodles, if it's any consolation to the chap we get asked daily if we will sell or let our Betty breed with all sorts of dogs, can't wait for 13th when I will be able to say she has been done and it can't happen and chipped for safety !
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 09:33 AM
My first dog was a miniature poodle (my mother insisted on a non shedding dog) and I've had several - miniatures and standards, since then. They are incredibly easy to train, particularly the miniatures.

When Gertie the lurcher died I decided I would, after years of only rescue dogs, allow myself a puppy, and that I would go back to my first love, poodles. I couldn't believe how difficult it was to find one! I was beginning to despair that I would ever find a 100% poodle - all I could find were crosses - from newfoundlands to chihuahuas and everything in between.

Eventually I found Pepe, a parti coloured standard. His breeder said she is always being asked for her stud dogs to be used for non poodle matings, which she refuses.

I did see a T shirt somewhere with the slogan 'There is nothing you can add to a Poodle which can improve it'. Wish I could get one of those!

And when we're out and about with Pepe (who is a stunning looking dog) people always ask if he's a labradoodle - it doesn't seem to cross anyone's mind that perhaps he is a simple old fashioned poodle!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Yes it is odd because poodles have always been high on recommended breeds of dogs for all sorts of people.

In fact one of the earliest things I can remember being told about different sorts of dogs is that poodles are 'very intelligent' dogs.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 11:26 AM
When I bought my poodle 5 years ago I found it really difficult to get a pure poodle . The breeders I spoke to were also very keen that their poodles would not be used for cross breeding . I always ask people with crosses why they didn't get a pure poodle and I am frequently told they wanted a healthy non shedding breed That's what my poodle is ! Also she was quite a bit lower in price than most of the crosses about . This despite the fact she is from a very experienced poodle person with many years experience showing poodles and breeding only from health tested poodles . My poodle is a great little dog and I would recommend them to anyone who wants a small really clever little dog
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
When I bought my poodle 5 years ago I found it really difficult to get a pure poodle . The breeders I spoke to were also very keen that their poodles would not be used for cross breeding . I always ask people with crosses why they didn't get a pure poodle and I am frequently told they wanted a healthy non shedding breed That's what my poodle is ! Also she was quite a bit lower in price than most of the crosses about . This despite the fact she is from a very experienced poodle person with many years experience showing poodles and breeding only from health tested poodles . My poodle is a great little dog and I would recommend them to anyone who wants a small really clever little dog
You say 'little'? Now I always thought 'proper poodles' were quite medium sized dogs? Like in the pic here. And that the 'little' ones were variations like Miniature Poodles or summat?

jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Different countries have different definitions, but the Kennel Club sizes are: under 11 inches at the shoulder - Toy

11-15 inches- Miniature

Over 15 inches - Standard (though that would be an extremely small standard - most are a lot bigger than that).

I think Germany has a size inbetween Miniature and Standard, and of course inevitably there are poodles described as teacup, or oversized ones called Royal or King Standards, but they aren't proper terms - so if I saw a litter described like that I'd know it wasn't a very good breeder!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 12:12 PM
I see - it was just us talking about 'proper' or 'standard' poodles and you referring to them as 'little dogs'. Now my Bella is definitely a little dog!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >