Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2008, 09:25 AM

Flu jab reaction?

I had my annual flu jab on Saturday, and my partner, who is my primary carer, always has one as well.

Saturday night I woke up several times in a cold sweat with a painful stomach, and all day yesterday I felt cold, queasy and my stomach was absolutely in knots and cramping. I kept feeling hungry although when I had food infront of me, I simply couldn't face it. My OH went out and fetched me a pack of Rennies, and these and a warm wheatbag on my stomach helped me get enough relief to sleep.

My arm, where I had the injection, was very sore and I had a lot of muscular pain when I tried to lift my arm away from my side. When I undressed to go to bed, I found a large painful swelling, which my OH said looked bruised. It's just the same this morning, although I've taken the anti-histamine and anti-inflamatory that I'm normally prescribed.

I woke up several times in the night because of my stomach and although I didn't feel unwell enough to call in sick today, I'm definitely uncomfortable and the thought of food makes me feel ill. I've tried to ring my doctor to find out if this is a normal reaction to the vaccination, because I don't remember feeling so unwell in previous years, but they've been engaged since they opened My OH is completely fine and doesn't even have a mark on his arm from the injection. He said he felt a bit dizzy on Saturday evening, but by morning he was completely back to normal.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 09:51 AM
In previous years when I've had the jab, I've felt really pants for a few days. My arm has been really sore, and I've felt like I actually had flu.

I was told it was normal to experience some symptoms (not everyone will) as they have injected you with a live strain of the flu (if you had the live vaccine)

Some immune systems (especially those that are generally low) have more symptoms than others as they make the antibodies.

My OH never suffered any symptoms from his either
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I don't think the flu jab is a 'live' vaccine ..but you can suffer from 'flu like symptoms afterwards ..alot of people get a sore arm afterwards and if you have tensed your muscle in your arm as you were jabbed then it can be quite painfull

You shouldn't have stomach cramps or anything like that - you may have been brewing something up before you had the jab ...maybe a chat with the practice nurse might help .
Hope you feel better soon
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:27 AM
whenever I've reacted before, it has been the heavy sore arm and fever - nothing with my stomach.
Perhaps a word with the nurse would be in order.
Hope you feel better soon *hugs*
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2008, 10:37 AM
I have spoken to the nurse who agrees that it doesn't sound like a normal reaction, although apparently I had the exact same swelling on my arm last year and my normal pills should bring it down.

Since my stomach seems to be getting better, she thought it probably wasn't anything to worry about and suggested that I nip across to the pharmacy - the pharmacist will be able to suggest something to help settle my tum, and if I'm no better in 24 hours, she'll make me an appointment to go in. Fingers crossed the pharmacist will sort me out
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2008, 01:56 PM
With all my oldies who have the flu jab I have seen the biggest reaction to it this year than ever before.

We have had sickness, rashes, colds, really, really achy arms, the lot. One of my regulars had to go to gp for anti-histamines.

I had mine last Friday and came over all peculiar (more than normal even!). I had it at 11.45am, was working from 4pm to 7.30pm and at my 6.30pm call suddenly couldn't see, as if someone had shone a bright light into my eyes. I made it to my next client and home but then was zonko for the rest of the evening.

I took plenty of fluids and paracetamol just as the doctor who have me my jab said and by Saturday I was dreading feeling bad but wasn't too bad at all.

Up until yesterday though, you could see where I had the jab as it was a perfect 3inch red square on my arm.

I'm not thinking I'm out of the woods yet though as it takes 3 weeks to finish working on your immune system.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2008, 02:03 PM
My dad has had a reaction from the flu jab this year, he felt very weak, hot and abit shaky. it only lasted 24 hours thankfully, he's never reacted like that before. i'm due to have mine next week, now i'm not too sure about having it, but then getting flu would be worse.