Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2005, 02:10 PM

Jan Fennell, anyone heard of her?

She is doing a lecture at the village up from me, a week on sunday.

Does anyone think it is worth going?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Go here for more info on Jan

www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi Nade I think many of us know of JF and have read her books.

Some think she is very good, others don't..
... if I were you and if it is not too expensive, I think I would be tempted go to the lecture and make up your own mind It is good to see as many aspects as possible of a subject you are interested in.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2005, 03:08 PM
yes i reconise the name and would be interested to hear what you thought if you go , hope you enjoy yourself.
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
I've been to one of her lectures I found it very informative though didn't agree with everything she said; definatley worthwhile though. You may be interested to know that she's on BBC Breakfast TV tomorrow.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2005, 04:12 PM
I know of her too and her books and I totally agree with Mini on this one. Personally, I am a non-believer in many of her methods, especially the eating before the dogs bit (I like to feed them first to get some peace and quiet whilst having ours!) Also the going through the door first, I would like her to be in my kitchen in the mornings and see her get mowed down trying to get through the door first when we go off for our morning walk! I would definitely go and make your own mind up.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2005, 07:23 PM
I've read the Dog Listener book of hers, she has some quite interesting techniques. I'd be curious to go and listen if she visited up here!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2005, 07:29 PM
I agree with the others, some of her methods are debate-able!
Take from it what you like but i wouldnt trust her ways 100%
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2005, 11:38 PM

She has a degree in Human Pyschology & saw what she considering a gap in the market for "her"training methods & went for it

She uses some now disproved"pack"studies, like multiple Aphas in a wild dog/wolf pack eat 1st so to show your your dog you are Alpha you must token eat first -wrong there is only one Alpha of each sex in a dog/wolf pack, they lead the hunt & on return to the lowest ranked dogs than do not hunt regugitate the kill for them ! thus the lowest ranked eat first !(this is the opposite to a lion pride behaviour) Also Alphas always lead the way so don't let your dog go through a door first-wrong wild packs on the move are lead by the young Beta dogs & the Alpha male & female flank the youngest lowest ranked dogs/wolves(that is the puppies)when travelling & if hunting the lead is taken by the most experienced hunter-who is not always the Alpha dog/bitch-she cannot explain why guide dogs are allowed to lead yet obey the Alpha who is always following behind using her methods

Wild dog studies can explain domesticated dog behaviour, but & it's a very bit but companion dogs are not wild animals & display modified behaviour after thousands of years in close relationship with mankind

She is a skilled operator I have picked up the pieces of dogs trained using her methods

BTW do you know she does not advocate invading your dog's personal space by stroking & cuddling ! Tell that to my Cavaliers ! let alone my puppy & GSD

Sorry she is the latest in a long line of "behaviourists" & her method is nothing new