Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Thank You. i wonder if you might reflect how you would feel if you were called carless and reckless? Especially as your last three posts to me have critised my use of a crate...but then interestingly not responded when I explained in great detail why it is needed to keep my rescue dog and children safe for very very short periods, telling me my dog should be kept on lead killing one thing in her whole life and then presuming I would allow my dogs to run amok on someone else's property while I film it and then post in on the web?

How would you feel, honestly?!
I guess sh*tty?

but don't forget, that your clicker training in pubs would drive me crazy as well!

simply different lives?

but anyway, it's only online, so many things are coming over differently, like I realised, how you reacted right about that "clicker-training-pub-thing"
I was rather laughing about that imagine, than I got upset about

guess it's just as you're not talking in real to each other

...and nevertheless, I really had to laugh about that pic of Remus' broken crate!
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Hi Sorry about that, looking at the other posts,I agree with you Cat in Sparkles you cant write off a dog just because of one incident,fawns are left by there mothers,its not as if your dog went hunting,your dog may have been sniffing the area and as fawns are extremely nervous may have tried to run,and your dog did what comes naturally.Gemini54
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
[QUOTE=catrinsparkles;2711704]
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
I wasn't with her and she found it as she was running through bracken...or course if I had been holdign her lead I would have been able to hold her back as she walks on a head collar.

She is five years old and this is the first time she has killed anything. She won't be on the lead thank you ......five years and one mistake so she goes on lead for life! I don't think so!

I have however asked advice and found out when peak fawn season is (find the thread if you like) we have stayed out of woods since and will do so for another month at least while the fawns are little and hunkering down. We presume she killed it as she ran back to my partner carrying it but there was no blood on her and no puncture marks on the fawn but we will presume that she broke its neck either shaking it or carrying back.

While we have been keeping out of the woods I have increased training getting her to stay close and bought a boomer ball out on walks so she has outlet for her wanting to chase.

Sorry if once again this does not suit your exacting standards. One of my dogs uses a crate and the other brought back a fawn once in her five and a half year life. What an irresponsible owner I must be.
My 2 hoodlums have both killed various wildlife ... numerous rabbits, sadly my old boy Hal once killed a hare, all 3 of them have chased many deer, Ben and Tai once pulled a squirrel apart between them and ate it before you could say knife. A sick and dying badger even was despatched by them back in that freezing cold and deep snow we had.

If anyone does not like to think of their dogs as hunting machines, then clearly they should not have dogs! We all do our best to protect wildlife, but at the end of the day our dogs are only following their natural instincts ... sad about the fawn of course, but this is nature, red and raw in tooth and claw!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Sorry about that, looking at the other posts,I agree with you Cat in Sparkles you cant write off a dog just because of one incident,fawns are left by there mothers,its not as if your dog went hunting,your dog may have been sniffing the area and as fawns are extremely nervous may have tried to run,and your dog did what comes naturally.Gemini54
Thank you Gemini I appreciate that. I was gutted and have done my best to try to ensure it won't be happening again. Obviously if she turns into a dog that is actively hunting things the moment she steps in the woods then I'd reassess keeping her on lead. At the moment I've been working very hard on improving her recall and staying fairly close on walks. It has been very successful....but she's put on 4 pounds!! So I am now balancing that out and trying to loose the extra weight she doesn't need. Swings and roundabouts!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=Gnasher;2711894]
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post

My 2 hoodlums have both killed various wildlife ... numerous rabbits, sadly my old boy Hal once killed a hare, all 3 of them have chased many deer, Ben and Tai once pulled a squirrel apart between them and ate it before you could say knife. A sick and dying badger even was despatched by them back in that freezing cold and deep snow we had.

If anyone does not like to think of their dogs as hunting machines, then clearly they should not have dogs! We all do our best to protect wildlife, but at the end of the day our dogs are only following their natural instincts ... sad about the fawn of course, but this is nature, red and raw in tooth and claw!
Red in nature tooth and claw is very true! On my other thread about it someone said that the deer population had to be culled by 10 % each year to keep the rest to them healthy. I may be called a bleeding heart liberal vegetarian....but I don't want Tonks' to be responsible for assisting in the cull! Lol.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7