Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2010, 08:34 PM

Please give your dog its jabs!

My mum knows someone who had a beautiful staffy puppy. He'd had her from 8weeks and apparently couldn't afford her jabs Last week the pup was diagnosed as having contracted Parvo and on Friday she died at 3months of a heart attack

Please make sure your dogs gets it's jabs!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 08:37 PM
My parents live in a known parvo area so I deffinately had mine done
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 08:41 PM
How awful, i do wonder why someone would want to go through the heartache of getting a dog and not having them jabbed etc, we did not consider getting our puppy without making sure we could get all of the bits needed. If i was struggling to get the money for jabs and still wanted a puppy we would have had to get a cheaper puppy rather than take the risk of no jabs. Shame for the puppy and the man left with nothing cos i guess no jabs equal no insurance either.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:11 PM
awww poor mite, why get the pup if you could not afford it
ATD x
gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I lost a lurcher at 2 1/2 due to suspected parvo. He had cancer causing him to have no immune response, discovered at 10 months old and consequently couldn't have further jabs. With a situation like that you are reliant on the levels of vaccinated dogs staying above a certain level such that the virus doesn't get a grip.

Sadly that didn't happen and I had to watch my boy die as he couldn't be vaccinated.

RIP my poor boy. I'll never forget you
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:25 PM
RIP Puppy xxxx
Originally Posted by gilli and jago View Post
I lost a lurcher at 2 1/2 due to suspected parvo. He had cancer causing him to have no immune response, discovered at 10 months old and consequently couldn't have further jabs. With a situation like that you are reliant on the levels of vaccinated dogs staying above a certain level such that the virus doesn't get a grip.

Sadly that didn't happen and I had to watch my boy die as he couldn't be vaccinated.

RIP my poor boy. I'll never forget you
RIP sweet boy xxxxxx
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:25 PM
This is so sad

Both of the deaths referred to in this post could have been prevented if everyone just vaccinated their dogs. Unfortunately through the recession, the vaccinations have been the first thing to go with many dog owners (who come out with an anecdote about their friend never vaccinating their dogs and never having a problem etc etc).

What people don't realise is the ONLY reason an unvaccinated dog doesn't contract parvo/distemper is because pretty much every other owner in the area is responsible enough to vaccinate to stamp out disease.

I'm so sorry to hear about your boy gilli and jago, it's so selfish of people to not vaccinate their dogs. And unfortunately it's ultimately their dogs (and immunodeficient dogs like your own who will not respond to vaccination) that pay the price.

It makes me so angry to hear this kind of thing.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:53 PM
I personally do not have my dogs vaccinated after the initial puppy boosters. There are of course 2 sides to every coin, but northern breeds in particular have a higher incidence of anaphylactic shock following vaccs, so I personally choose not to do annual vaccinations. It is not a question of cost, or selfishness, I can afford to annually vaccinate my dogs, I just personally believe after the initial puppy vaccinations it's not necessary.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I personally do not have my dogs vaccinated after the initial puppy boosters. There are of course 2 sides to every coin, but northern breeds in particular have a higher incidence of anaphylactic shock following vaccs, so I personally choose not to do annual vaccinations. It is not a question of cost, or selfishness, I can afford to annually vaccinate my dogs, I just personally believe after the initial puppy vaccinations it's not necessary.
Perhaps you could work with your vet to get serum antibody levels analysed on a yearly basis?

It's actually advised now to measure serum antibodies yearly and ONLY vaccinate IF the dog hasn't got a high enough titre of protective antibodies. Generally this works out at about every 3 years for the typical dog I think.

But those first vaccs are vitally important!

Would they respond better to homeopathic vaccination?
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't blanket vaccinate either after losing a dog to vaccine reactions .... Dogs do still die from parvovirus even when vaccinated sadly. It's a horrible thing to happen to anyone but it is nit necessarily a simple decision o make
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »