Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2004, 08:45 PM
What do you feed Saffy on
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

22-06-2004, 02:17 AM
Boxers do not usually grow much in height after 12 months, but will continue to fill out and will look mature at between 2 1/2 - 3 years.

There does seem to be a trend towards breeding larger Boxers. My bitch is 25" at the withers, the male is 24". In the U.S.A. there is talk of changing the standard to increase the minimum height. All a bit of a worry as the Boxer is supposed to be a medium sized dog.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2004, 04:18 AM
Roxy, what does that convert to in pounds, do you know?

Did any of you boxer owners ever see an apricot colored boxer? There is one a block away, and it's really protective of it's property. When we go by it goes bolistic, barking and running along the fence line. Impressive looking dog. I didn't know what it was until I asked the owner who was out one day. Didn't look like the boxers I've seen. It also had BULGING muscles. It's a scary boxer
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

22-06-2004, 05:27 AM
Barbara

34kg = approx 75lbs

The red Boxers can range in colour from a light tan to mahogany. The lighter ones look rather washed out in my opinion. The guarding instinct can be very strong and a Boxer in prime condition is impressive. It is possible that your 'scary boxer' could be a real pussycat away from his territory. On the other hand, he might not be purebred if he doesn't look like any other Boxer you have come across.

P.S. A Boxer's muscles should be apparent, but they should not bulge.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

22-06-2004, 06:20 AM
Thanx Shadowboxer, I think Saffy is just the Arnie of the Boxer world. Or she thinks she is

Carole she eats Burns Chicken and Rice (and I was feeding her the quantity for a 25 - 30 kg dog) I havent upped her amount yet but it looks like I will have too, although she is always stealing Max and Tias food at every opportunity.
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

22-06-2004, 09:12 AM
I think Carole is right, I had a white deaf Dane and she was built like a Brick S**t House. It must be something in the white genes that make them bigger and heavier.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

22-06-2004, 09:51 AM
Just as a matter of inerest Roxy & Dozeydanes, were your white dogs neutered early? Apparently early spaying/castrating can cause increased growth, particularly height, and I wondered if being an 'off standard' colour they might have been neutered at a younger age than the usual 6+ months.
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

22-06-2004, 10:25 AM
My girl had to be pts at 2years and 8 months as she had broken both cruiates and at that time it was impossible to operate on both of them at the same time, she also had HD but being white and from Harlie lines she carried defects. Tinkie didn't have a season until she was two years old.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3