Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 08:22 AM

Very slow recall

As you all know I have Archie now and have had him for 1 month. We have trained in the garden, and his recall is fine at home.

But..... when we are out and he has been off lead he does not always come to call, eventually he will poodle back, without a care in the world!!

He seems ok with treat training at home but really is not interested when we are out.

He is a socialable little boy and just wants to say hi to every other dog.

Any suggestions ? Harvey will 99% of the time return to me, but if Archie decideds to ignore Harvey will look and run off with him.

I kept Archie on the lead yesterday and let Harvey off, and I felt terrible, but It just has to be done until he learns to come back when he is called !
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Poor Trixybird. Well you know what they say Praise, Patience and Perseverance! Grit your teeth and hang in there he will come around. You did it with Harvey and you can do it with Archie too! You are being very responsible not letting Archie off lead until his recall is 100% Just carry on at home and in the garden. Maybe put him on a long lead when you are out so you are still always in control but he can have a bit more freedom. Keep up the good work.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 08:37 AM
out of my 4 Sophie is the only one i can trust to come back when called ...............i think its a cavalier thing some might not agree but i don't think the cavalier is not a great off lead walker ....they are very easily distracted
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Hi Nana, to be honest Harvey is an absolute angel off lead. Never had this with Simba as he would be off over the fields free as a bird!!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 08:40 AM
pippa sometimes comes back but only if she thinks she wants to ........i personally don't trust them off lead its only Sophie who needs to be sitting on my shoes
janet68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi Tracey

I think that you will be fine after a little while with Archie he will come to you like Harvey does. Inca is fantastic on and off lead. She will only go about 20 - 30 yards in front of any one of us even with the other two Tammy and Toby. Her recall is great and only wished that Toby would recall as good as her. He is fine on most of the field until we get to one section then he does a runner.

Take care
Janet
xx
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2006, 10:52 AM
think it must be a cav thing, i know loads of people with them & they all more or less say the same, they can't be trusted off lead.
whenever evie gets off or manages to get out of the house she is far to interested in sniffing everything & totally ignores us
we've not let charlie of round here yet as he doen't know the area cos hes only been here since tuesday afternoon. think he will learn quick thou, he had 4 walks yesterday lol
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2006, 11:14 AM
It is important to train recall on-lead starting with low distraction and gradually building up to high distraction. Then progress to off-lead recalls, again starting with low distraction and building up to high distraction.

Also bear in mind that the CKCS comes from sporting ancestors so some are bound to have inherited a little, or a lot, of prey drive
trace1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2006, 12:47 PM
think evie must have a lot of that because if it moves shes gota chase it lol. doesn't matter if its a bird or 1 of them fairy things that float around
we have a washing line that we use on the beach with her, its long enough to let it go so we can catch up with her if she desides to chase something
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 02:09 PM
india spends her time off lead flushing out and once she gets going nothing on earth with bring her back ...so of course she only goes off lead when we are alone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >