Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 10:15 PM

Sore eye...

Well, I'm not sure if it is sore but it isn't normal...

I noticed yesterday that one of Jake's eyes had matter coming out of it... I kept an eye on it all day, but the matter kept appearing while the other eye was completely clear. Today has been the same, and around his eye he has crusty bits. The white of his eye is also really red...

I'm not sure what it could be, but I do remember accidently knocking the side of his head lightly when I was picking something up yesterday... I can't be sure it touched his eye, but it was the right side of his head... I also can't honestly remember what came first, the knock on his head or the matter...

What other kind of things can cause something like that? And, if it was the knock, will it heal itself? I don't want to leave it too long, and really don't want him in pain, but I don't want to rush him unnecessarily to the vets... which I often want to do, I always want to rush him to the vet over every little thing and it is my family who tell me to chill and they are always right
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2012, 10:41 PM
What colour is the gunk that's coming out of his eye? If it's clear it could be that he's got/had something in his eye and the body is trying to flush it out. If his eye is red it could be that whatever the foreign body was has scratched his eye.

If the gunk is opaque, white or yellow, this could be a sign of infection.

Gently bathe the eye with sterilised salted water to clean away the crusty bits around the eye.

I've never used it on a dog, but with the horses we use GoldenEye, or Brolene. It's available at any chemist and will clear up any mild infection. It may be worth ringing your vet to make sure it is compatible with dogs.

Eyes are precious, so if you are in any doubt then a trip to the vet may be in order.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Angie1966 View Post
What colour is the gunk that's coming out of his eye? If it's clear it could be that he's got/had something in his eye and the body is trying to flush it out. If his eye is red it could be that whatever the foreign body was has scratched his eye.

If the gunk is opaque, white or yellow, this could be a sign of infection.

Gently bathe the eye with sterilised salted water to clean away the crusty bits around the eye.

I've never used it on a dog, but with the horses we use GoldenEye, or Brolene. It's available at any chemist and will clear up any mild infection. It may be worth ringing your vet to make sure it is compatible with dogs.

Eyes are precious, so if you are in any doubt then a trip to the vet may be in order.
Thank you, the gunk is yellow/white so maybe an infection then... I will bathe his eye with salted water, and see how it goes... Then it will be off to the vets with him...
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Oh poor Jake, that does sound like some sort of infection or perhaps something stuck in there.

Please give him a cuddle from me, and I hope that the vet can sort him out quickly.

Ps.....I too am a "straight to the vet for the slightest thing" person. Sometimes it is not a bad thing!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 06:35 AM
I use golden eye drops on my dogs if they just have an irritated eye but would take them to the vet if it appeared infected. If you do buy some drops, don't tell the pharmacist they are for your dog or they won't sell them to you!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys

This is what it was like last night (although, you can't see the red on his 'whites' obviously ). The pink bit is flesh... and the matter doesn't look as bad coz I had not long cleaned it, but at times the matter has been much worse than that.

i have been bathing it today, and I'm not sure if it is just my imagination, but it is already looking better IMO. I couldn't take him to the vets today coz I have been rushing around all day (my dad had to go to hospital so it's been crazy) and then I had work...