Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megwoody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Safe spaying time??

My Annie should be coming home to me soon....however I need to have her spayed...she has had a season but ex wont tell me if she has had her second season??? can she just be spayed or do I have to time it inbetween seasons??
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:32 PM
optimum time is 12-13 weeks after a season
megwoody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
optimum time is 12-13 weeks after a season
Ok so if my ex husband wont tell me if she has had her second season what can I do??
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Tbh, I think the only choice you've got is to wait it out until she has her next season. Would this be a problem?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Not a lot, I'm afraid. You could risk it, but is it really worth it?

Obviously, if there is a risk of an unwanted litter, you have little choice, but it is a risk on the behaviour front.

If at all possible, wait until she has another season and count off from there.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Aside from the risk of disrupting hormones, the nearer a dog is to her season the greater the blood supply to the reproductive system.

This can greatly increase the risk of bleeding during or post operating. The reproductive system is also more swollen and fragile at this time and thus there is also that additional risk of bleeding. This is why you aim to do the op midway between seasons, i.e. at the likely furthest point from a season.

However it is not impossible to do it at this time, if the benefits in terms of unwanted pregnancies and giving birth outweigh the risks.

In terms of reducing bleeding risks it can be a good idea to prophylactically treat any dog with Advocate for lungworm (which can reduce clotting ability) prior to any elective surgery, if not a routine part of a worming programme.

While certainly not cast in stone, seasons are most commonly six months apart.How long ago was the season you do know about and how does the maths work out?
megwoody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Thank you to all for the common sense answers...no chance of pregnancy as my male is castrated...a bit worried about my spayed 6 mnth old with her until she can be done...but as advised I will wait until she has her season her teats are looking swollen so I suspect she is due for it soon ...and yes last summer or at least early last summer rings a bell as I had to leave soon after...

So will probs introduce her at the weekend to other two on neutral ground somewhere...any pointers as she may be hormonal ...how could the others react???any advice pls