View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Poor Kiara - lots of healing {{{vibes}}} for a successful op and an easy recovery [easy for both of you] xx
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Sending healing vibes for kiara and hugs to you x x
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Feel free to come over to mine while she's in surgery to help take your mind off. Come on your own and we'll just have a natter, or fetch Bailey and poppy and we'll go for a walk. You don't have to decide right away, just see how you feel Friday. X
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Good luck for Friday, and healing vibes on their way to Kiara
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Sam, my Cairn Terrier, had both of his sorted out at different times. The op. went well but it's a long time ago I can't remember much about the after part. I remember having to do some physio on the leg every day for quite a while. I think I just put him in his cage both times so he was restricted and just allowed him the amount of exercise they recommended. Good luck xx
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Hope it all goes well.

Helen
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Luckily she's been on a diet so she's down to 33kg which isn't far off her proper weight, she's going to have a wire attached to the bone above her knee, then through the bone underneath removal of knee cap to clean it up then replaced

Luckily she loves her cage and we now live in a bungalow so don't have to worry about stairs, the only issue is the chair that she's claimed as hers she spends all her time either on it or in the cage, she's gonna be upset when I block it off

My vet is a local orthapeadic guy and although he does everything this is his 'thing' so I'm in luck there, he says complete bed rest for a 3-4 days then very slow and steady walk around the garden and gradually build her up, he wants her to be moving about so it doesn't seize up. Evidently she'll be lame for a month or so maybe longer
Can't work out how to do your colour coding!
She's having a very different procedure from Saba, so I wouldn't like to give you any pointers on amount of exercise, and what to avoid or not.

How about turning the chair upside down, so that the back is on the floor....that way she can still get into it, but it isn't a jump up.

I would recommend getting a walking belt/Canicross harness unless she's super good on the lead. You are going to be doing a lot of trotting around with her!

Fingers and paws crossed for Friday xx
EllesBelles
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I agree with GirondeDeb - you'll need to speak to your vet about what is acceptable.

With two of my fosters, we were advised to make a ramp to allow them to get into their favourite chairs, to make them feel more at home. They'd lie their for hours.

As for the lack of exercise - plan as much mental stimulation as you possibly can. Read up on 'home made' things such as hiding treats in bags, and games she can play lying down. If you can keep her happy mentally, she'll be much easier to deal with.

All the best for Friday. It sounds like your vet is very experienced, so don't worry too much.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Our last dog Bitz had hers done, and she was a complete lunatic normally - probably why she ruptured the ligament in the first place. I was so worried about the enforced confinement and rest afterwards, but honestly, I needn't have stressed so much.

She was not allowed to climb steps; go outside unless on lead and even then only for essential comfort breaks; jump onto furniture or move around too much at all. We made all manner of things to facilitate all this, including a sort of wire mesh frame for the front door so that she could lie on the mat and see out, but not actually go out. A stair gate sorted the stairs, and doors sorted the area of movement.

There is some pain after the op, and this in itself helps to restrict excessive movement but you do have to be a little vigilant when they are in the living room with you - jumping up is not good!

The length of recovery time seems a little daunting, but I used to check off the weeks on the calendar and mark the milestones, and remember that all things do pass eventually!

There will be times when Kiara might turn awkwardly and suddenly hold the leg up again. Try not to panic, because this will happen several times, it doesn't mean that it has all gone wrong, however obviously if the leg is permanently held up after a twisting or jumping incident it will be wise to have it checked out. The repairs are remarkably tough, but it is essential to follow the guidelines laid down by your vet. My vet took Bitz off painkillers, so that she would feel the discomfort.......not particularly nice for us owners, but it makes sense if you have a livewire.

It will be an exhausting time for you to be honest, BUT at the end of it Kiara will be sound again - without the op that leg would gradually become more and more painful.

Good luck for Friday, and I bet you cannot wait for the op to be over. Don't worry, it will be fine.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Our last dog Bitz had hers done, and she was a complete lunatic normally - probably why she ruptured the ligament in the first place. I was so worried about the enforced confinement and rest afterwards, but honestly, I needn't have stressed so much.

She was not allowed to climb steps; go outside unless on lead and even then only for essential comfort breaks; jump onto furniture or move around too much at all. We made all manner of things to facilitate all this, including a sort of wire mesh frame for the front door so that she could lie on the mat and see out, but not actually go out. A stair gate sorted the stairs, and doors sorted the area of movement.

There is some pain after the op, and this in itself helps to restrict excessive movement but you do have to be a little vigilant when they are in the living room with you - jumping up is not good!

The length of recovery time seems a little daunting, but I used to check off the weeks on the calendar and mark the milestones, and remember that all things do pass eventually!

There will be times when Kiara might turn awkwardly and suddenly hold the leg up again. Try not to panic, because this will happen several times, it doesn't mean that it has all gone wrong, however obviously if the leg is permanently held up after a twisting or jumping incident it will be wise to have it checked out. The repairs are remarkably tough, but it is essential to follow the guidelines laid down by your vet. My vet took Bitz off painkillers, so that she would feel the discomfort.......not particularly nice for us owners, but it makes sense if you have a livewire.

It will be an exhausting time for you to be honest, BUT at the end of it Kiara will be sound again - without the op that leg would gradually become more and more painful.

Good luck for Friday, and I bet you cannot wait for the op to be over. Don't worry, it will be fine.
I was going to ask the vet about this She's pretty good in the house tbh quite calm (as are all of them) it's just the walkies time she goes a bit mental and when we get out she just like to run and run and run So I'm thinking I'll shut her in the cage while I take the others out so she can't move about too much

She's pretty good on the lead so toileting shouldn't be too much of an issue, 6 weeks seems such a long time but time seems to pass so quickly nowadays
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >