View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shirls
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-02-2012, 09:41 AM
No upset tums for mine on raw although Kasha frequently had when fed kibble.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Was that from a blockage or from the chicken itself? If you know what I mean
Apparently from the chicken itself. Vet says Len could tolerate once a week, perhaps, but I'm so terrified of doing Lennon harm that I've stopped raw completely. Since then he's lost almost 4 kilos, which I'm very happy about. He looks amazing now on the commercial food
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the link, Minihaha (love your name). It's nice to have an article written by an authority for the non believers. On another forum I belong to a woman's 110 pound basset hound suffered from a bone obstruction and required surgery. My dogs get raw every day and I've never had problems with bones, now I can see why.

Some tummy problems are caused by a lack of probiotics. We just rehomed a dog that came from a puppy mill (certainly the start of the problem) and vomited every day. For four years the couple who owned him went to vets, put him on medications, switched foods from one expensive brand to another and he still threw up a dozen times a day. They pulled up their carpeting and put down laminate. The day I got him he was switched to raw and his vomiting went to once or twice after a day. Lovely, but as a raw eater he was basically unadoptable so I went back to kibble and added kefir (fermented milk) to his food. That did the trick. He was adopted and I gave the new owner her own starter for the kefir.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Lennon had peritonitis caused by eating raw chicken on a daily basis. I almost lost him.

I don't feed raw anymore.....
Peritonitis is an inflamation of the peritoneum, how could raw chicken have caused this ? Did a bone pierce the intestinal wall & the infection followed ?

My dogs have been fed all sorts of raw food since the 1950s & never had any problems with Campylobacter, Food poisoning, Salmonella etc. My GSDs never had any disgestive problems that many appear to have.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Just my personal experience, Cain has no end if stomach upsets on kibble but appears to have guts of steel on raw. Suits him and neither him (or us) have contracted any bugs from raw meat.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:57 AM
my dogs arent ever ill off chicken.. the only chicken they get is tesco value chicken wings i cant say ive noticed them having upset stomachs anyway, they have never been sick or had the runs, not acted any differently to any other food they get given
sandymere
Dogsey Junior
Male 

pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Millie has been fed raw since she was 6 months never run into problems since she too has the stomach of a concrete elephant(Blackadder?o.0))

She has licked bleach, chewed batteries from the romate, eatern chocalate, onions, newspaperss, bus tickets, job centre appointment slips and probably my job centre diary too as I cant seem to find it either, picked coal from the fire place, chewed golf balls, buttons from my chair -.-
chairs, toast and marmalade, drank coffee when she spilled my dads, chicken poo, cat poo, bird poo, meal worms

she is not a year old yet either o.0''
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2012, 03:55 PM
What is it you are pointing out with this link? The paper showed the vast majority (97%) of the dogs (in the study) were not carrying Campylobacter???
sandymere
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
What is it you are pointing out with this link? The paper showed the vast majority (97%) of the dogs (in the study) were not carrying Campylobacter???
Thats why I posted it!!!! Seemed relevant to the question!!!!
It was a relatively a short window but if the trend continued over the longer term then it could be surmised that a raw fed dog would have around a 3% risk of possible shedding campylobactor at any one time.
Do you disagree with the relevance to the topic???

Perhaps if you wish to question the validity of a link then, think it was page one, that has one to a commercial site promoting dog food. On it they suggests that raw fed dogs are likely to have a lower bacterial load due to increased stomach acid. This might be a more valid target, as you know the great majority of current research suggest that raw fed dogs carry a much higher prevalence of harmful bacteria than those on dried or tinned.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1716752/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16478425
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >