Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I board my hounds at the RGT kennels , my son races motorbikes at a high level for a professional team and I go to see him , its a dangerous sport and I need to be there ! I have to board my dogs otherwise I cant go . I struggle with this as I take my dogs everywhere with me and desparately miss them when I am away, they are not allowed to come to the race track otherwise they would be with me. I have tried to think of allsorts of options e.g having them in a kennels local to the track we are at so I can go and visit and walk them but the logisitics are difficult as the race meets are all over the UK and there
are 12 rounds so its a big committment to try and arrange local boarding in an area I am not familiar with. My family live all over the world so there are no options there and I feel its too much of a committment for my friends who have offered as its not a one off its 12 weekends of the yeAr and it includes all the BHs.

The RGT kennels are fab and they know my dogs well and are very fond of them but I am conscious they are unsettled at times as they are thoroughly spoilt at home (not to the point they are not trained and have house rules )

This weekend Tom had an accident and they were not sure if Bella had bitten him in the kennel as they are close together and share a bed , or it happened when they were playing in the paddock.

I cant see that Bella bit Tom as they are best buddies at home and show no aggression towards each other. Maybe they were a bit stressed in kennels and behaviour was not as normal ? Looking at the wound which has 10 staples in it , it does not look like a bite but does look like a normal hound tear that could happen through play. I have no issues whatsoever with RGT they do a fantastic job and look after my hounds very well.

Bella also has had them awake at 5 in the morning barking , she does not do this at home but did the last 2 nights in the kennels , they had to put an anti bark muzzle on her but she managed to remove it !

I know there is no real easy solution for this , I could stay at home and not go to the race meetings but I dont want to do this , I prefer to be there and fret at the track rather than at home , between a rock and a hard place huh !

I want to do the best for my dogs and support my son and think they will be fine in the RGT kennels as the team are trying to think of ways to settle Bella more in the night and really do the best for my dogs.

Not really looking for answer here but need to share my thoughts , the woofs are fine today and are snuggled up on the sofa with me as I type, I will focus on the belief that dogs live in the moment and every moment with us is a fabulous one for them !
Sounds like you are just a really nice person Tom, you want to do the best for your son AND your dogs, which is as it should be. You're caught between a rock and a hard place. My dogs too come everywhere with us to the point that if they cannot come, then we don't go, which means a very restricted social life of course but we feel they are worth it. However, in this case, I think you should not be feeling guilty about your dogs, you would never leave them in a kennels you weren't happy with, and at the end of the day they are being well looked after and are safe. Your son needs you, and I remember when my daughter was at boarding school our old boy Hal had to stay home alone all day whilst my husband drove down to Hampshire to fetch her during any hot weather when he couldn't take him in the car. It didn't happen that often of course, the weather being as it is in this country, but there were at least 2 or 3 occasions during any one year when he would have to be left and he hated it of course. Our own children must of course take precedence over our doggie chilldren when push comes to shove, even I grudgingly have to admit!

When we retire proper and downsize we are going to buy a large caravan so that we can once more have foreign holidays and be a bit more sociable, visiting friends but sleeping with the dogs in the caravan.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks Mel , I am really happy with the kennels and they really look after them well , I suppose its just when something happens you want to be there, next race meet is in Scotland and they are coming with us as I will stay at my sisters which is 20 mins from the track and she will look after them on raceday , they know her and the kids due to lots of visits and they settle well there , so thats one less kennel visit ! Thanks for your offer I may just send Bella to you as Axel seems to have a soft spot for her !
The kennels are lovely, we went there before we found Axel.
Seriously, if you ever need someone to look after Bella, Axel would love to have her over! I really would have Tom too if you thought he'd be ok, but I wouldn't want to stress him. I think Bella and Axel would be fine together, so it's an option if you ever need it
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:44 PM
You could always try a 1 night stay with them at Insomnias to see how they get on while your at home & can go pick them up easily. Maybe see if any of the other volunteers would be willing to houndsit for you for 1 or both dogs.
I visited my friends last weekend and my boy just slotted right in with her greyhound pack (2males/2 females) even though we don't often see them and would of probably been quite happy to have been left with his friends
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Bella also has had them awake at 5 in the morning barking , she does not do this at home but did the last 2 nights in the kennels , they had to put an anti bark muzzle on her but she managed to remove it !
Did they say what sort of anti barking collar? I presume spray, not electric! just checking

Some dogs accept these ok but some get very upset, it does depend a lot on the dog. Actually - just thinking, but sometimes dogs nearby can get set the anti barking collar off. So it's not fair in a double dog kennel, really

There is a very very small chance that this could have caused a problem between the dogs if in close proximity - unlikely, but just possible.

I do think this is very very difficult for you - I'd be on tenterhooks about my son and also thinking constantly about my dogs!

Wys
x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2