Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
So what would you want the 'authorities to do? They have no recourse in law to take a dog and pts if it kills a cat in its own garden, same as if it kills a cat in the street. I know - I have had to ask!

I cannot see where anyone has labels any dog breed as all the same, Im not sure where that comes into it.

Yes you can get some small furry friendly greys but certainly not very often. And what would you suggest I do with mine that are not cat friendly when a cat is in there garden?
Hypothetically speaking if another dog broke into your garden and your dog killed it would you expect the owner of dead dog to call the authorities on you for having a dangerous out of control dog?

I think you have already said you would put your dog down if it killed another
dog but I just wonder who you think would be at fault in this situation?
Fortunately that wouldnt happen as our
dogs are friendly

If a dog did break in, as has happened - it dug under the fence (which has since been replaced by different fencing) our dogs did nothing. I however apprehended the culprit & returned it to its owners who didnt even know it was missing.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:20 PM
This is what Im trying to find out. People are saying that they would report it to the authorities and that it would be my fault etc etc - I just dont get that. My dogs are all walked muzzled because I know what they can do. Some people have said yes their dogs have chased cats small furries etc - the difference is my dogs are a damn site faster than most and they will catch them - hence I try to do everything in my power to prevent it happening. But how can I control other peoples pets? My old grey was a very successful racer try training that out of her!
You shouldnt have to control others pets. I agree with you. No one would ever have me muzzling my dogs on my own property to ensure they didnt harm some one elses pet. why should I take caution for their pets when they havent them selves by letting them out the door If one of our cats got out and harmed by someones dog, a driver or what ever it would be MY fault.
I guess some people dont like responsibilty and want to blame others.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I think you have already said you would put your dog down if it killed another
dog but I just wonder who you think would be at fault in this situation?

Did I? I dont remember typing that
spot
Dogsey Veteran

23-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
What do you presently do?
Sorry Im not sure what you are asking. I thought my questions were pretty succinct (I have just realised I have no idea how to spell that!)

You said you would report a dog that killed at cat in its own garden (dogs) and I asked what you would want the authorities to do about it? Obviously you want them to take some action or you would not report it?

As I have said I will not muzzle mine when they are in their own garden I certainly would not put them down.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
You shouldnt have to control others pets. I agree with you. No one would ever have me muzzling my dogs on my own property to ensure they didnt harm some one elses pet. why should I take caution for their pets when they havent them selves by letting them out the door If one of our cats got out and harmed by someones dog, a driver or what ever it would be MY fault.
I guess some people dont like responsibilty and want to blame others.
No one should have muzzle a dog on their own property !!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

23-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Fortunately that wouldnt happen as our
dogs are friendly

If a dog did break in, as has happened - it dug under the fence (which has since been replaced by different fencing) our dogs did nothing. I however apprehended the culprit & returned it to its owners who didnt even know it was missing.
As I said it was a hypothetical question so I would like to know what you would do in that situation.

Do you think they would be in the right to report YOU as you would do if a dog killed a cat in the dogs own garden?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Sorry Im not sure what you are asking. I thought my questions were pretty succinct (I have just realised I have no idea how to spell that!)

You said you would report a dog that killed at cat in its own garden (dogs) and I asked what you would want the authorities to do about it? Obviously you want them to take some action or you would not report it?

As I have said I will not muzzle mine when they are in their own garden I certainly would not put them down.
I wouldnt expect you to PTS the dog either - i really dont know where that came from. I keep repeating this - i dont agree with dogs being muzzled on their own property - what would that achieve? Nothing except a miserable dog.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:30 PM
As this thread is becoming more and more about cats, can I ask a question of Dawn please?

Dawn, I know that you have stated before that you have your fencing sorted so that your cats cannot climb out. Can I ask why you have done this, is it because you are concerned about neighbours dogs attacking your cats, cars hitting your cats, your cats causing a nuisance to neighbours by pooping in their garden? Obviously I don't know where you live - you may not have any neighbours or busy roads near you. It just interests me that you have, for whatever your reasons, managed to keep your cats safe and happy contained in your garden but other cat owners haven't / won't.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:31 PM
As I said it was a hypothetical question so I would like to know what you would do in that situation.

Do you think they would be in the right to report YOU as you would do if a dog killed a cat in the dogs own garden?
what do YOU think?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

23-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I wouldnt expect you to PTS the dog either - i really dont know where that came from. I keep repeating this - i dont agree with dogs being muzzled on their own property - what would that achieve? Nothing except a miserable dog.
Thats great because I wouldnt and wont. But why would you report it and what would you want the authorities to do about the dog? What could they do anyway?

I cannot control other peoples pets - why should I be reported if my dogs kill a cat on their property?
Page 52 of 56 « First < 2 42 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 > Last »