Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 02:51 PM

Pancreatitis/raw feeding

Just wondered has or does any one feed raw diet for a dog with pancreatitis please. Am waiting for result of another blood test from vet but they think my dog might have it I have never been keen on dry food but know vets often recomend dry prescription food for this condition. Have been giving white fish/turkey/rice/veg while waiting for result of test, which she seems ok with. I will ask the vet about it also. If it's not pancreatitis, she'll have to have more tests, but am interested in the raw feeding whatever happens and hoping it works if am able to try it.
Many thanks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your poor dog, let's hope it's not pancreatitis though. I'm not an expert on raw, I've only done it on and off,but I would listen to your vet with this one quite honestly. The pancreas works quite hard in the digestive process,so you are looking for something that is VERY easily digested so that it doesn't have to work so hard, and the only wtg with that one is fish, or the chicken and rice like the vet would advise. I'm almost sure that raw isn't easy to digest but I honestly don't know,and fats you would want to avoid like the plague! Good luck sorry I can't be more help.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Iv'e just been reading about this and aparently the best treatment is a raw diet which includes raw pig pancreas.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Iv'e just been reading about this and aparently the best treatment is a raw diet which includes raw pig pancreas.
Yes, that would be right for the condition called EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) which my previous dog had, you would feed a raw pancreas to replace the enzymes that the pancreas can't produce, BUT, pancreatitis is totally different, the pancreas is highly inflamed, so would that be right to feed?? I don't know!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sorry to hear about your poor dog, let's hope it's not pancreatitis though. I'm not an expert on raw, I've only done it on and off,but I would listen to your vet with this one quite honestly. The pancreas works quite hard in the digestive process,so you are looking for something that is VERY easily digested so that it doesn't have to work so hard, and the only wtg with that one is fish, or the chicken and rice like the vet would advise. I'm almost sure that raw isn't easy to digest but I honestly don't know,and fats you would want to avoid like the plague! Good luck sorry I can't be more help.
I would have thought raw is more digestible - hence the smaller, firmer poos (less waste as the body can digest more of it). I would perhaps find a vet who's got a fair knowledge on raw, I know the BritBarf Yahoo group were compiling a list of raw-friendly vets so may be worth a look
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Thankyou for your replies and help A friends dog has chronic pancreatitis but is an older dog of different breed and not so active as mine (don't know if this makes much difference), she is fed RC dry and wet prescription. Is interesting about the raw pig pancreas, will look up about it(don't know where would get it though), the few butchers round here wouldn't supply sweetbreads, which I love, so not sure It won't be good news if is as thought but hopefully treatable with diet more than anything, am dreading if it's not pancreatitis also, n asking question"what's wrong?" She has definately been better without Chappie(was recomended by vet after getting her), which I thought she wasn't getting enough nutrition from for some reason due to her scavenging(symptom of suspected condition also).
Many thanks.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.ehow.com/way_5184710_raw-...creatitis.html
Found a few other links that seem to say the same as that article too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Very informative link there and it seems you might do well to offer raw, but of course, like I said, avoid the fats! Looks like steak and green beans then??!! Good luck with her, I hope you find out exactly what is wrong. Regarding the pancreas's can you locate an abbatoire near to you, they will always give them to you I do know that coz a local breeder always fed her gsd's raw pancreases in the hope that they would never get EPI as it's breed specific. All the very best, I hope she's doing ok.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 10:07 AM
If you do feed raw I would stick to extra lean, low cholestorol (sp?) meats. (hmm, maybe rabbit? Someone on here is bound to know..) The pig pancreas can be bought from Durham Animal Feeds, other than that I think your butcher would have to order it in. I would try to find out more about feeding to treat this condition from raw feeding specific forums etc first though. I think DAF's website has a forum too and it seems to have some knowledgeable GSD owners posting on it. (Ive heard GSD's can suffer from this/be prone to it but not my breed so just what Ive heard rather than know...)

Here is the link for DAF http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/wb/

This is the site of a vet that advocates feeding raw, Ive never contacted him but it may be worth just dropping him an email for advice? http://www.vethomeopath.co.uk/
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, that would be right for the condition called EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) which my previous dog had, you would feed a raw pancreas to replace the enzymes that the pancreas can't produce, BUT, pancreatitis is totally different, the pancreas is highly inflamed, so would that be right to feed?? I don't know!
Thanks for letting me know this.

btw is it ok to mention other forums etc or is it frowned upon (oops ) just though the links may be quite helpful...

also, should have said the pancreas is available from DAF or one of the distributors if your not in their area.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >