Our sister sites
Our sister sites
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 10:08 AM

Greyhound with an upset tummy

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for little Paris. Somehow managed to get through 2 and half yrs of dog ownership without an upset tummy before!

Paris is well in herself, eating well and running around just as much as usual but woke me up at 3am this morning crying to be let out and has had the runs since
We've just been for our morning walk and sorry to be graphic but its just liquid coming out now...
She hasnt been sick and is drinking water happily..
Obviously if it gets worse or she has any other symptoms we will be off to the vets but is there anything i can give her now to make her feel better? i was thinking boiled rice for dinner for her, do you thinkthis will help?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 10:12 AM
It's really common for a grey to have an upset tummy. Mine has one quite often. Chicken and rice or white fish and rice is good for settling dodgy tums.
Mine is often off her food for up to 3 days although she doesn't appear unwell.
I'm sure she'll be fine but if it goes on for longer than 3 days I would take her to the vets just to be sure, or if she deteriorates.
Welcome to the world of greyhound ownership!!!
PS. You haven't changed her food recently have you, or given her something she doesn't normally have?
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
It's really common for a grey to have an upset tummy. Mine has one quite often. Chicken and rice or white fish and rice is good for settling dodgy tums.
Mine is often off her food for up to 3 days although she doesn't appear unwell.
I'm sure she'll be fine but if it goes on for longer than 3 days I would take her to the vets just to be sure, or if she deteriorates.
Welcome to the world of greyhound ownership!!!
PS. You haven't changed her food recently have you, or given her something she doesn't normally have?
Thanks for the speedy reply Zoe,

Our other grey Philly has what i would call 'loose' poops quite often but nothing like what poor Paris seems to be going through today and it would take extreme circumstances to stop Philly eating! Shes not eaten anything new that i'm aware of but shes a horror for chomping anything she can get her paws on! I'm trying to rack my brains for any food we may have left around at home that she could have stolen!

I shall pop off to the supermarket and get her some chicken to have with her rice this afternoon.
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2010, 11:32 AM
ive just had this with ruby, i new something was up with her when she refused her breakfast so i starved her for the day then fed her on chicken and rice for a few days along with giving her some kaolin peadiatric to settle her tummy and firm her up which will usually sort the problem
( but ruby being ruby it didnt so after 3 days of her still being loose we took a trip to the vets and after a week of ab's things are 100% better now )

hope paris is feeling better soon
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I would starve her for 24 hours to let the tummy empty and settle and then start giving a little chicken and rice, little and often. If it still continues after that or your grey shows signs of dehydration (they do dehydrate quickly due to having no body fat) then get straight to the vets.
Good Luck