Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Brilliant thread

I grew up with a cross between a labrador and a cocker spaniel...there would probably be a posh name for that mix now, but he was a cross-breed. he looked just like a Newfoundland only smaller, about labrador size, his name was Prince and he was my best buddy. Even though I had brothers and sisters to play with I only wanted to be with him, we went everywhere and did everything together.

He died aged 16 when I was 18

By that time I was in full time work, was engaged and my mum was a child minder. I begged her to let me have another dog, my fiance begged her too saying that it would be living with us once we got married. She relented but said I had to have something that was known to be good with children...I had always loved the Irish Setters so before she could change her mind, I went out and got Jasper

A year later mum and dad had got so attached to him that they went out and got a cocker spaniel puppy...Barney, he was a blue roan and from a very nice breeder in Orsett. They feared that they would miss having a dog in the house, hence Barney...but then my relationship broke up and we were left with our two boys. Barney thought he was mine too as he came on all of our walks and did everything with us, he would even get up on my lap for a cuddle whilst Jasper was on me

That was my introduction to Setters, when I left home I would take Jasper round to mums each day whilst I was at work. When I lost Jasper aged 10 I knew that I wanted to stick with the setters but didn't want to replace Jasper as such...so my first English Setter arrived...Harvey, he was my introduction to the show ring too

I have had other breeds too but my heart belongs to the English Setters and I hope that I will always be able to have at least one in my life.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4