Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Post #55

That is you, isn't it?
Ooops, you mean this one

Originally Posted by johnderondon
I absolutely would not have killed this dog. In fact I can't believe that authorites are still taking this tack.
Sorry, should I have quoted all of it, because the above was what caught my attention, and subsequently formed my reply
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
I wish I knew who the rest of you think she is I'm curious now, but I don't think shes a newbie, or a Jimmy as they are called on another site I'm on!
Check back a couple of pages on General Dog Chat. The thread is 'Frey has broken a leg', or words to that effect.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
What do you think they should have done with the dog then? Sorry, its my opinion that they had no choice but to kill it.THe family of the boy have their own cross to bear, but there was no option with the dog.
I know they did what they had to do with the dog, I don't like the fact they just outright shoot it before gathering the facts. I'd be interested to see what they class as an "agitated state".

The family may well have their own cross to bear but I still places my bets on the full responsibilty being pointed at the dog and not the owners. A four year old child should not be left alone with a dog of any breed and unfortunately that appears to be what has happened.

Now the stories will flood in that bull breed dogs should all be banned and that they are vicious killers and the familys guilt will be eased by the media convincing them that they did nothing wrong and that it's just the way these bull breeds are.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Wire Haired View Post
Yes other animals are sometimes but not always. Every time a dog walker is trampled to death do you think farmers destroy their herds?
I think you will find if the animals are safe within there own field then no they will not be shot for trampling people to death,
but if animals break free from there field, are a danger to others, the police marksman is there in a blink of an eye

my thoughts are with the family, its such a terrible thing to happen,
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What would an examination/assessment of the dog do though? all it would reveal that the dog had an unstable temperament and was an unfortunate product of it's poor genetics/environment. For as long as idiots choose to keep 'dangerous' dogs, breed from dogs will no regard to temperament and not give a hoot about socializing or a proper up bringing, these tragic incidences will continue to happen. You can test, analyze and examine these situations until you are blue in the face but the outcome will always be the same.
I think you've answered you own question.

You have laid the blame at the feet of genetics and enviroment.

How do you know that both of these factors are at play? How do you know that one factor did not predominate over the other? Or that one factor was not wholly responsible? How can you be sure that a well-bred dog in a similar enviroment might not also have posed a risk. Or that an equally ill-bred (if it was ill-bred) dog might not pose an equal risk even in a different enviroment?

To simply say the dog was unstable is analogous to saying the crashed car was unsafe. It doesn't advance our understanding unless we know how and why things went wrong and trying to ascertain that with a major part of the puzzle destroyed just makes things harder and our conclusions less reliable.

Possibly an investigation would have yeilded no useful information but to throw away the opportunity with even trying is to doom us to repeating the same old mistakes.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Have they said what type the dog was?
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Check back a couple of pages on General Dog Chat. The thread is 'Frey has broken a leg', or words to that effect.
Thanks I see what you mean!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Have they said what type the dog was?
Pit Bull type according to some reports, but I don't think it has been 'officially' announced yet.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Sorry, should I have quoted all of it, because the above was what caught my attention, and subsequently formed my reply
And, in so doing, you have mispresented my position. In the same post I said...

Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I fully accept that, after killing a child, the dog's fate is sealed but, for God's sake, why the helter-skelter rush? I cannot think of any other situation involving a death where the authorities rush to destroy the main piece of evidence.
But I'm glad that you now realise that you did quote me (even if it was out of context).
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 04:47 PM
They are trying to establish if it was an illegal breed or type. The news also said there were complaints to the council in February this year about excessive dog breeding at the address.
Page 10 of 53 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »