Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shell2468
New Member!
Female 

03-12-2013, 11:44 PM

Does Demodex Mange cause a bad body smell

Hello,
I am fostering a 1 yr old lab mix puppy (we think that's her breed) and she has Demodex Mange. The Mange has gotten much better but still a way too go. Could this cause a really bad smell? We've given her 4 baths and the smell just doesn't go away. If it is from the Mange, is there a certain shampoo that will help w/smell without interfering with her meds?

Appreciate any help I can get...

Thank you!!!
Michele
Monica28
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2013, 06:22 AM
She may have a secondary skin infection from having the mange. The skin can develop yeast and cause a very strong smell, that doesn't wash off. She may need antibiotics.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Yes, one of my old dogs had this, he used to get the big, brown rings on his tummy and groin. I used to bath him in Hibiscrub, it takes the smell away along with everything else. It's cheap, you can get it off the Sainsbury's counter, OR you can buy it over the counter even cheaper from Boots pharmacy in a big plastic bottle. You must dilute it, and froth it up as you rub it in. The surgeons use this to scrub up and it will kill off all that bacteria that is causing the smell.

I'm sure your dog is already under the vet with antibiotics for your poor dog, and if you feel it's getting on top of you, they will take him in and do a special wash for you, or maybe prescribe you what they use for that, but I've never got that far with mine. Hope that helps and good luck with the poor lad.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Have you checked her ears for possible yeast infection because dirty ears can be very smelly?
shell2468
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Good morning,

Yes, checked her ears, they were very dirty when we first got her, but since cleaning them there is no smell coming from them. I must look like an idiot because I'm constantly smelling every part of her to try and find where it's coming from LOL

Thank you for the thought!!!!
shell2468
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if that could be it. She was on antibiotics and the rescue forgot to send them to me. I asked for them and they are mailing to me. I wonder if that's what it is.

Thanks for the insight!!!!
shell2468
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2013, 01:03 PM
I went to the pet store and was going to get the Happy Jack for Mange. I was told it works good but I was a little nervous because I didn't want to make it worse or irritate it.

Maybe I'll ask the rescue what their vets number is and call and ask him what they think.

Thank you very much for taking the time to try and help!
shell2468
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Thank you to everyone who took the time to write in with thoughts and advice. It was very helpful!!!!!!

Y'all are the best!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 01:45 PM
She must have been seen by a vet somewhere along the line, so did they actually diagnose demodectic mange? Definitely need those anti biotics if it is, and probably for more than a week if it doesn't clear up.

Just out of interest, my vet explained to me what this is. He said all dogs have this mange, but the immune system keeps it at bay, whereas with a dog with a compromised immune system (such as my dog had and he was old), then the immune system can't cope, so it rears its ugly head. This is a different mange that dogs catch from foxes, which can also be difficult to clear up. Just thought I'd pass on what my vet took the trouble to explain to me when my dog had it that's all. In the case of the demodectic mange, this is why you need those anti biotics because the immune system isn't coping well enough to have let it take a hold.

Good luck and hopefully once you get the ab's into her she'll be well on the mend.

I don't know about that Happy Jack from the pet store, but you'll be far better off with your ab's and that Hibiscrub. I had to live with this for 2 years when my dog had it because he also had cushings which usually goes along with mange eventually, and Hibiscrub did the job perfectly.