Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:29 PM

Does anyone else have..

... A dog that picks blackberries?

I thought rox was just sniffing about this afternoon, turns out shes been helping herself to blackberries..

Shes gassing my flat out lol
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I had a dog who picked raspberries. We had them growing in the garden when we moved in and Shadow would help himself to them.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:36 PM
We have a raspberry bush in the garden that Tilly doesn't bother with until I go picking, then she decides to help!
She doesn't actually like them, but picks them & spits them out I just pick them up & put them with the rest I've picked & nobody knows their raspberry flan has been in the dog's mouth
I do wash them though honest!!
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Paris once tucked into a whole bush of gooseberries
We thought she was sniffing... We were at my mums and my mum was not impressed. Oops

At our other house we had blackberries growing wild in the hedge at the bottom of the garden, fruit only survived if it was above paris height

She has also stolen apples out of my work bag. Fruit monster
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Lol! Glad Im not the only one!

Im pretty sure my next thread will be ' How do you get blackberry stain out of white hair...' lol
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
... A dog that picks blackberries?

I thought rox was just sniffing about this afternoon, turns out shes been helping herself to blackberries..

Shes gassing my flat out lol
Yes all of my dogs have gone blackberrying with me and pick them themselves, they also pick raspberries and strawberries etc!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes, my family's late Lab x, Penny, loved blackberries. She always accompanied my late dad when he went blackberry picking (he was an enthusiastic cook and always made his own jam). he'd be picking the higher ones - she'd be picking and scoffing the lower ones!

It's not just dogs, though.... A couple of years ago in September I went to a nature reserve for a walk, and kept seeing these poos everywhere, jet black in colour and packed full of little seeds. All the blackberry bushes were stripped bare of berries to a height of 2ft.... of course, it was the resident fox population helping themselves!

Rue is going to be a blackberry-er, I just know it. Merlin can't be arsed, well maybe he might copy her once they're fully ripe here. I caught Rue sniffing in my sister's strawberry patch in the summer, delicately scenting each fruit and nibbling off the ripe ones.

We stopped to look at blackberries last week on a walk, decided they weren't quite ready yet, and I showed one to Rue who looked quite interested, gave it a good sniff and left it. But I've seen her snuffle at a few berries on low-hanging stems; I think she's waiting for them to come in, too.

But you mustn't harvest them after Michaelmas - 29th September - as the devil spits on them that night.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Yes, my family's late Lab x, Penny, loved blackberries. She always accompanied my late dad when he went blackberry picking (he was an enthusiastic cook and always made his own jam). he'd be picking the higher ones - she'd be picking and scoffing the lower ones!

It's not just dogs, though.... A couple of years ago in September I went to a nature reserve for a walk, and kept seeing these poos everywhere, jet black in colour and packed full of little seeds. All the blackberry bushes were stripped bare of berries to a height of 2ft.... of course, it was the resident fox population helping themselves!

Rue is going to be a blackberry-er, I just know it. Merlin can't be arsed, well maybe he might copy her once they're fully ripe here. I caught Rue sniffing in my sister's strawberry patch in the summer, delicately scenting each fruit and nibbling off the ripe ones.

We stopped to look at blackberries last week on a walk, decided they weren't quite ready yet, and I showed one to Rue who looked quite interested, gave it a good sniff and left it. But I've seen her snuffle at a few berries on low-hanging stems; I think she's waiting for them to come in, too.

But you mustn't harvest them after Michaelmas - 29th September - as the devil spits on them that night.
I think you might have to come here and explain that last bit to roxie, she practicly had a tantrum when I dragged her out of the last bush lol. I dont think she will care about the date lol
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
Lol! Glad Im not the only one!

Im pretty sure my next thread will be ' How do you get blackberry stain out of white hair...' lol
Vanish of course I've seen it on tv
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Vanish of course I've seen it on tv
Its alright for you, youve got a black dog! lol Might try cillit bang... teehee
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >