Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:23 PM

Allergic reaction

probably to dandelion fluff!

We got back from a walk with Rolo at about 7.15 and noticed his face started to swell, we have been advised by the emergency vet to give him some Piriteze that i rushed out to buy.

Another blooming scary time with the dogs, i love them to bits but they are gonna worry me to death the way they are going!!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Awww ,Hope it helps him ..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Just a note for readers, whilst Piriteze is fine in an emergency and on a vet's advice, for long term use as an antihistamine, Piriton is wiser.

Piriton Allergy Tablets and Syrup contain chlorphenamine. Piriteze Allergy Tablets and Syrup contain cetirizine

The former has been well researched on dogs.

But obviously check with vet first.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Just a note for readers, whilst Piriteze is fine in an emergency and on a vet's advice, for long term use as an antihistamine, Piriton is wiser.

Piriton Allergy Tablets and Syrup contain chlorphenamine. Piriteze Allergy Tablets and Syrup contain cetirizine

The former has been well researched on dogs.

But obviously check with vet first.
Thanks for this i went out looking for Piriton, but no where had any so i got piriteze and then phoned the vet and asked for advice on whether i should use it etc. I have obviously been advised to keep an eye and go down should there be any breathing difficulty etc.

I will be buying piriton first thing tomorrow!
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Rolo seemed a little better at bedtime, and hadnt at anytime struggled to breath so we went to bed (later than normal), and i got up at 3am to check on him and although i couldnt see how swollen he still was he seemed happy in himself and alert to me.

This morning he doesnt look completely right, but still happy to eat and so we gave him another dose and hopefully by this evening it will be okay.

Will have to be careful, cos it is still a little swollen, we are not sure if it was a bite/sting or the dandelion fluff, cant see any obvious bite or sting sites on his face, but i guess that cant be ruled out. Will have to be careful if we go there again, but i dont want to not go there as we really would be helpful to know if it is the dandelion fluff.