10-04-2010, 09:31 PM

Beach?

Hay I live near Warrington/ Wigan what beaches allow dogs? Thanks
ATD x
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I suppose it depends on how far you are prepared to drive.
Locally to me you can access the beach easily from Crosby, Blundellsands, Formby, Ainsdale and Southport.

Blundellsands is dog friendly. There is a large car parking space right on the front, and you can easily access the flat beach which stretches for miles. There is no charge for this.

Formby is good. You can park easily, and walk through the red squirrel reserve. You have to keep your dog on a lead in this part of the beach - it's worth it though because you can often just stand quietly with your dog and watch these lovely creatures take nuts and fruit from your hand.

There weren't as many squirrels there last time I went as unfortunately they had been decimated by a virus, carried by the grey squirrel, and many of the reds had died as a result. Hopefully their numbers are starting to build up again though.

Once through the squirrel reserve you can let your dog off the lead and access the beach via the sandhills.

It is a National Trust area so you do have to pay to access it.

Of those mentioned above, I think only Southport has restrictions on dog and that is Southport which I think bans dogs during the Summer, but as far as I know all the others have no such restrictions.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Hi,

Living in Birmingham for the moment I'm landlocked. But I would happily drive for a couple of hours early inthe morning to spend the day on the beach with the dogs.

For me though, it's just knowing where the best place to go it. Where doesn't restrict dogs. Where there are fewer numpty owners.

Over the next couple of months I had decided to start doing this maybe the first couple of times when Oscar is with his father for the weekend. Of course it would depend on the weather too - i can't imagine it being much fun in the rain.

Laura xx
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I couldn't take my old dog on the beach because he had major skin problems and the sand and sea water just made his feet so sore it wasn't worth it.

One of the things I am really looking forward to with my new pup is getting down to the beach, when he is old enough.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
We went to formby and was brill walled for miles over the sand dunes went for a paddle dogs loved it no squirrles thoumust have been in the rong part
ATD x
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Oh thats great, I am glad you enjoyed it.

You can try for the squirrel reserve next time
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Hay I live near Warrington/ Wigan what beaches allow dogs? Thanks.
ATD x
We're near Warrington, our 'local' is Crosby, we giggle at the dogs barking unsurely at the iron men I MUST take ours to Formby
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Those sculptures are brilliant aren't they

Blundellsands is good, because you can park on the hardstanding car park and just walk down a little slope and right onto the beach, it's just so convenient.

It can get a bit crowded during the Summer where the beaches at Formby tend to be a bit less busy. Apparently you can sometimes find 5000yr old red deer footprints in the sand but I have never seen them.

Here's a bit more info on the beaches you could go to. Not sure how up to date this article is though

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A5839121
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
We're near Warrington, our 'local' is Crosby, we giggle at the dogs barking unsurely at the iron men I MUST take ours to Formby
Formby was ace, the dogs are shattered now not even enuff energy for a bath lol
ATD x
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Birmingham to Barmouth is a couple of hours and the beach is dog friendly for the winter months and part of the beach accessible all year, plus the panorama walk around the top of Barmouth is worth the journey.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >