Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 10:07 AM

Really odd behaviour

I decided to put this here rather than the health section, because I'm not too worried, just curious.. Does anyone else's dog do this?

Kismet has a love of pink. She favours her pink toys and last time we were in PAH she nearly shoplifted an ugly looking pink furry thing, sheepishly I went back and paid for it.. £4! For a horrid pink doggy thing ewugh.. But that's only where the odd begins... At first she chews them up and gets the squeek out, like she does with all her toys, so like with all her tows I then de-stuff them and give the fuzzy rag back to her...

She then gathers all the pink toys together and carries them round, whining. Sometimes she will take one and give it to me but if I throw it or try to play tuggy she's mortified and goes and picks it up and cries again. She puts them in 'special' places, in your shoe, in a bag, under her bed and wont let the other dogs near them...

Is she broody? She's only 7 months old?? Selkie never did this... I've never seen the like. It's kinda cute, but frankly odd!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Has she had her season yet? If she has how long ago was it? It may be less about the colour and more about the texture or the tone of the squeak. Cassie has a range of toys she can't have because the tone of squeak is too puppy like. She plays and bites them then when they squeak she gets very upset starts whinning and carrying them round.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Has she had her season yet? If she has how long ago was it? It may be less about the colour and more about the texture or the tone of the squeak. Cassie has a range of toys she can't have because the tone of squeak is too puppy like. She plays and bites them then when they squeak she gets very upset starts whinning and carrying them round.
Good points here I always thought that dogs did not see colours maybe as Razcox says it's a texture thing
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 10:34 AM
That's very strange, coz I think dogs only see in black and white/grey don't they? That's what I always thought anyway, so I have no idea why your dog favours pink, very odd!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I think dogs do see some colours but I dont know if pink is one of them.
Have no ideas on why though
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I have a customer, and her dog only eats red treats!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I had someone in class that claimed her dog didn't like the colour red and only liked blue. We were doing speed steps with one blue step and one red set. I am sure the dog only did the blue set because they were heading back down the hall to it's other owner. Aparantly it refused to eat out of the red bowl at home until they change it for the blue bowl......but i wonder if they have accidentally trainned her to do this,... or like others have suggested, there is something else other than the colour that the dog doesn't like, or is attracted to but we presume it is the colour as that is what we can see.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 02:32 PM
It can't be the squeak, mostly she removes them and two of the toys she does this to are just cloths. One is a pink dustcloth, maybe it's the texture, they are all sort of velvety or furry.

She has not yet had her first season, though we are thinking it must be iminant.

I would agree, I didn't think dogs could see colours, but maybe it has something to do with the blue eyes. The vet did an eye check of her and commented that it was odd but blue eyed dogs seemed to be almost human in their eye make-up. They get red eye not green eye in camera flash.

Do you think the toys distress her then? She thinks they're sort of dead puppies? Oh that's horrible, maybe I should gather them all up and take them away from her.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
It can't be the squeak, mostly she removes them and two of the toys she does this to are just cloths. One is a pink dustcloth, maybe it's the texture, they are all sort of velvety or furry.

She has not yet had her first season, though we are thinking it must be iminant.

I would agree, I didn't think dogs could see colours, but maybe it has something to do with the blue eyes. The vet did an eye check of her and commented that it was odd but blue eyed dogs seemed to be almost human in their eye make-up. They get red eye not green eye in camera flash.

Do you think the toys distress her then? She thinks they're sort of dead puppies? Oh that's horrible, maybe I should gather them all up and take them away from her.
Thats what we had to do with Cassie, the toys are hidden in under the stairs! She was fine until she got a noise out of them then she got really distressed. We think she thought she had hurt them and was really upset.

She doesn't feel the same about rabbits though . . . .