View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Have just read this and just had to add, if you are thinking of getting a dog /pup don't listen to ANYONE else, only you know what is right for you.

We knew what breed we wanted and we knew we wanted a puppy, i know there are lots of dogs out there needing homes and i have nothing against rescue dogs but we also have a young child and cats and thought a puppy would be better for everyone, that was the right choice FOR US!!

and lastly we have all been 1st time dog owners at one time or another, you will pick it up as you go along, plenty of places to go for help (like here) and a great bonding time for you and your pup/dog as you learn together, hard work but great fun and very rewarding.

Hope you find 'the one' you are looking for.

Jules
xxx
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 11:58 AM
ahhhh lol! i think that i will be the one training the dog and doing ALL of that........ my boyfreind will prob be the one to pat it a few times when he gets in from work, he wont really have much say in the training to be honest! lol!

ahh thanks, i think that we will have to look into it more and just decide when the time is right, we cant get one until next year anyway until we move, it may even be delayed (NOOOOO!!!!) until the year after i really hope not though!!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post
ahhhh lol! i think that i will be the one training the dog and doing ALL of that........ my boyfreind will prob be the one to pat it a few times when he gets in from work, he wont really have much say in the training to be honest! lol!

ahh thanks, i think that we will have to look into it more and just decide when the time is right, we cant get one until next year anyway until we move, it may even be delayed (NOOOOO!!!!) until the year after i really hope not though!!
At least it gves you plenty of time to decide on what breed you'd like, and to research it fully
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi Knottybabe

Well done for researching and getting an idea of what you want / what suits you and your lifestyle. Shows you will be a responsible owners when you do get your new friend! There are a lot of different breeds and dogs out there but only you will know what is best for you at the time.

I too had always loved dogs but had never had one before. I was also working and so was my OH so we decided to get a rescue dog (18 month old lab). He fit in well and although the only training he had previously been given was how to 'sit' he was a lovely dog and a wonderful personality. He was also for the most part housetrained which was a big plus. In January i will have had him for 3 years and he has come soooooooo far since i first got him.

Feb this year I got a puppy from a breeder and for me, having an older dog previously was invaluable. Not only for knowing how to handle the puppy etc but also for the puppy to learn from the older dog. Also as my pup is a Northern Inuit i knew they could suffer from seperation anxiety and i would say that the lab has been perfect for that. Im pretty sure that without him she would have suffered from SA a lot and that it would have taken a lot of time to help her through it. I would also say his (now) calm nature rubbed off on her a little so she is mostly a calm and very well behaved dog.

So for me it was the best thing in the world to have an older (but still young) rescue first and then a puppy later.

But the same things are not always right for different people so keep researching and maybe make a decision nearer the time. A lot can happen in a year or so therefore dont feel like you need to make a decision now, keep all your options open and just see what life brings you!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3