Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 11:47 PM

Please give me some advice! :-)

i was told by a few breeders & on other forums that i should get a older dog 1year + and already trained like a rescue, which i am fine with, giving a dog a second change & a good home, but a part of my feels that by doing that i will miss out on the puppy stage and growing up with the dog...........? (ive posted a simalar post about puppy training i am worried that i wont be able to do it.....!!?? )

any tips/advice welcome please!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2006, 11:58 PM
There are so many dogs, young and old, looking for forever homes. If you can, why not visit local rescue centres, see what animals they have there looking for a loving home and talk it over with the staff there? You don't have to commit to anything unless you feel totally ready.

Good luck.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 12:00 AM
hiya, thanks we do plan to visit them nearer the time (not planning on a dog until next year--but studying about them now!!)

i feel bad though as we like certain types of dogs, i would feel bad saying 'oh we dont like that one as we like so and so breed......' does that sound silly? i know everyone has fav breeds........?
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 06:59 AM
No of course it doesn't sound silly, you are doing the right thing starting your research early.

Only you can decide what kind of dog you really want, and what kind of dog will fit in with your lifestyle and circumstances. If you want a puppy of a particular breed that's fine. The choice is yours.

I have Irish Setters and American Cocker Spaniels, what breed are you finding interesting? and we'll try to help you as much as possible.

Dawn R.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

02-10-2006, 07:23 AM
I don't think you are being silly - I think you are being very responsible and its a shame more people don't spend more time researching the right breeds for them.
There are many breeds of dogs out there and by doing the right research you will find the perfect one for you and your lifestyle.

As for whether to get a puppy or a dog both have pros and cons again it comes down to you. If it were me I would get an older dog - but I'm saying that because I've had two pups and really don't want to go through that again - its really hard work but if I hadn't had a pup I would probably want one - sorry I'm not much help am I?

Good Luck I think you are going to be a great dog owner
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Good luck finding your new dog... take your time, he/she will be with you a long time
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 08:13 AM
If you know what breed you are looking for then you are dong the responsible thing by researching. If you are looking for a particular breed you could contact that particular breed rescue. You'd be surprised how many puppies are in rescue.

Good luck in your search.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Not silly at all. As Dawn says, you need a dog type that is going to fit in with your lifestyle, it will hopefully be with you for many years to come.

If there are certain breeds you are intereseted in, why not find out if there is a rescue group dedicated to that specific breed? Might be worth a try.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 08:18 AM
I am confused, why are people suggesting you get an older dog?
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2006, 08:22 AM
There are breed profiles on this forum which may help in your decision making process. You are being extremely responsible the more knowledge you get the more you will be able to find the right dog for you.

As for not being able to train a puppy. There are countless puppy books that you could get before hand to help you feel more prepared. Also if you go along to your nearest puppy training class they will train you how to train your dog. You can even go along beforehand to assess the training classes and make sure you like what you see.

Training a puppy takes patience and perseverance but you don't have to do it all day every day. Just a few minutes each day as puppies don't have very long attention spans anyway.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit. Hope it was some help and best of luck in your search. I think you sound like you will make a great owner!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >