View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Driving abroad, anyone had any experiences?

Just wondering really. I'll be driving to France next year if Isla's Pet Passport works out and then there's a possiblity I'll be driving to the Czech Republic in a couple of years, for reasons I can digress just yet!

So, has anyone ever driven abroad? Was it as difiicult as you thought it would be and how crowded were the roads?

Any thoughts welcome!

Cheeaz!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Driving in France is absolute bliss compared to our roads here
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 09:05 PM
I've driven in Spain, Menorca and Mallorca, Palma is a bit scarey! I think you're better off in a l/hand drive vehicle to do the driving on the right if you know what I mean. That's the worst part, especially when overtaking, you have to ask the passenger if it's all clear otherwise!! It's a doddle, you just have to keep your mind on what you're doing, and if you are in a left hand drive like I was, then don't use the door handle to change gear either, coz it doesn't work! Lol! Good luck, it's a doddle! Oh, and roundabouts can be a bit iffy too from what I remember! Dave always went the wrong way around them in Mahon (Menorca), but I did them ok, but then I'm a woman!!!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I've driven in France,Belgium and Holland.The one important bit of advice i will give is tie a piece of ribbon or wrap a length of sellotape around the top of your steering wheel.This is to make your brain think everytime you get in the car so you remember to drive on the right ride of road.If you're in a left hooker-it isnt hard to remember which side to drive on,but you get complacient in your own car.

It isnt hard driving abroad-you get used to the different way others go about.The french for example dont stop at pedestrian crossings no matter what their highway code may say and if you do-you're likely to get a rear end shunt.They also like their horns so make sure you have a nice loud set too.Dont take any notice of lane arrows cos no one else does and diffuse any tense situations by fluttering your eyelashes.

Have fun!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Driving in France is absolute bliss compared to our roads here
Yeah I've heard that. I've also heard that the French can be a bunch of nutters behind the wheel!

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've driven in Spain, Menorca and Mallorca, Palma is a bit scarey! I think you're better off in a l/hand drive vehicle to do the driving on the right if you know what I mean. That's the worst part, especially when overtaking, you have to ask the passenger if it's all clear otherwise!! It's a doddle, you just have to keep your mind on what you're doing, and if you are in a left hand drive like I was, then don't use the door handle to change gear either, coz it doesn't work! Lol! Good luck, it's a doddle! Oh, and roundabouts can be a bit iffy too from what I remember! Dave always went the wrong way around them in Mahon (Menorca), but I did them ok, but then I'm a woman!!!
Well it'll be a RHD car as it'll be my own! But I have to say the thought of roundabouts going the opposite direction terrifies me! My brain just doesn't work like that!

Will have to see how I get on in France, I'm going to buy Sat Nav with European mapping to help a bit, but I'll be on me tod driving to the Czech Republic (still really want to call it Czechoslovkia! ) which would be, erm, interesting!

I'd be ok if it weren't for those pesky roundabouts!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I've driven in France,Belgium and Holland.The one important bit of advice i will give is tie a piece of ribbon or wrap a length of sellotape around the top of your steering wheel.This is to make your brain think everytime you get in the car so you remember to drive on the right ride of road.If you're in a left hooker-it isnt hard to remember which side to drive on,but you get complacient in your own car.

It isnt hard driving abroad-you get used to the different way others go about.The french for example dont stop at pedestrian crossings no matter what their highway code may say and if you do-you're likely to get a rear end shunt.They also like their horns so make sure you have a nice loud set too.Dont take any notice of lane arrows cos no one else does and diffuse any tense situations by fluttering your eyelashes.

Have fun!
Thanks mate!

How will the sellotape help then? My brain would simply go "What the hell is that sellotape doing stuck to the steering wheel?" And then I'd rip it off an proceed on my way on the left hand side of the road! :smt043

Seriously though, sounds like a good idea, some sort of reminder. I'll never forget an incident many years ago in the next village to me, a tourist from the US got into his hire car and drove on the right hand side of the road and hit another car coming over the brow of a hill. He was killed instantly. That story has never left me and it happened over 15 years ago.

What was it like driving in Holland then, are they pretty laid back there?

And eyelash fluttering? Well, I'm the Master!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yeah I've heard that. But I have to say the thought of roundabouts going the opposite direction terrifies me!
If you want to experience going round one the wrong way here in the UK beforehand Rips-go to Hemel Hempstead.They have one huge
roundabout with about 8 smaller ones dotted around it.You can go anyway you want around it-left or right!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If you want to experience going round one the wrong way here in the UK beforehand Rips-go to Hemel Hempstead.They have one huge
roundabout with about 8 smaller ones dotted around it.You can go anyway you want around it-left or right!

Where's Hemel Hempstead then? God how on earth am I going to get to the Czech Republic?! :smt043
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks mate!

How will the sellotape help then? My brain would simply go "What the hell is that sellotape doing stuck to the steering wheel?" And then I'd rip it off an proceed on my way on the left hand side of the road! :smt043

Seriously though, sounds like a good idea, some sort of reminder. I'll never forget an incident many years ago in the next village to me, a tourist from the US got into his hire car and drove on the right hand side of the road and hit another car coming over the brow of a hill. He was killed instantly. That story has never left me and it happened over 15 years ago.

What was it like driving in Holland then, are they pretty laid back there?

And eyelash fluttering? Well, I'm the Master!
The tape is just to provoke your brain into thinking 'why the heck is that there' so you dont go on autopilot and cause carnage.I used it cos i tend to go into mong mode when i drive and have little intrest in everything else around me.The French though are feisty drivers so be prepared to floor it away from junctions or you really will get clipped.I will put money on it though that your car will get some sort of battle damage!

The Dutch are alright and good drivers.Only hiccup i had was trying to work out which set of traffic lights were for cars and which for trams.Holland has a good road network and their landscape is idential to round here-pancake flat so no frequent gear changes!

Belgium is alright-they speak Dutch,make nice chocolate...and thats about it...
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-12-2007, 09:46 PM

Where's Hemel Hempstead then? God how on earth am I going to get to the Czech Republic?! :smt043
Hemel is kinda near Watford next to the M25 in Herts.Cant think of anything else its famous for other than their 'magic roundabout' (that is honestly its nickname!).
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >