Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 07:39 PM

Hedgehog

Kev found a hedgehog wandering up the road this afternoon on his way home from work, right up the middle of it. He moved it to the verge but it went back towards the road - tried this a few times but it kept going to the road, so fearing for it's safety he put it in a box and brought it home.
We put it in the spare dog crate, with newspaper and a bit of straw, a bowl of water and some puppy food. After about 3 hours we decided it would be best back where it was found - it walks with no limp, can't be sure if it has drunk water but it has walked through it! Possibly eaten but walked through that dish too!

We drove to exactly where it was found, and put it facing a nice hedge - it turned round and cam straight back! Tried again, this time it headed straight for the road but it really seemed to have no idea where it was going, if I hadn't picked it up and moved it then it would have fallen in a little ditch. One more try............. still going the wrong way.

We brought it home, can't bear the thought of it getting run over, eaten etc.

It weighs 500g and it seems to sneeze every now and then. We are wondering if it is blind, pretty sure actually.

I have contacted Tiggywinkles, Prickly Ball Farm and the British Hedgehog Preservation Society. I am going to keep it safe, fed and watered until I get some advice from them.

We have named it Teasle!
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I work with someone who has a hedgehog that had similar problems with hers, although it is kept as a pet. The sneezing and eyesight problems are interlinked I think but can't remember all the details sorry. I know that it had a minor operation and had one eye stitched up and is now fine.
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Poor little thing. They do say that if you see a hedgehog in daytime it's most likely unwell in some way. The thing about blindness and sneezing is ringing a bell somewhere in my mind but I can't think why at the moment. I'll let you know if anything comes back to me. Can you take it to the PDSA maybe? Other than that I think you've done all the right things bringing it in and keeping it safe. Well done for looking after it. Do beware of fleas though. Most hedgehogs are absolutely riddled.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Thanks Alison and minda.

Luckily hedgehog fleas are host specific so they won't bother us or Hollie.

Vets have a code of treating wildlife for free, it's voluntary so I will find out if my vet does - our old one did as we took in a baby hog a few years ago and they treated it for free, sadly it died.

If this one looks like it will make it - I am hopeful as it is pretty lively - we will make an area for it in the garden. Only have a small garden but we will do something for it!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I had a chat with the nurse at the vets this morning, she said to take it down if I like but it would be wise to watch for a little while to see how it goes, also if we are able to care for it then that might be best as it is obviously not right or it wouldn't have been out during the day.

We are still not sure if it can see, but today it has the roll up reflex which it didn't yesterday.

Kev made a run for it today, so after dinner we put it in there, with some dog food and bowl of water. For ages it walked round, seeming to bump into the sides, and when it felt the bowl it turned away. Eventually it started to eat!!

Here are some photo's, might have a little video of it too when Kev is out of the shower!

This is Teasel the hedgehog:

Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2006, 07:50 PM
What lovely photos, keep us posted on how Teasle is doing.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2006, 08:27 PM
What a lovely thing to do you are very kind Trish
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Thankyou Alison and Toby!

We have put Teasel back in the dog cage as he/she was trying to make a burrow in the run! There is plenty of straw in the cage and Teasel made a lovely burrow in there last night!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2006, 09:44 PM
I have done the 2 video's, hope you like them!

darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
I love Teasel what a sweet little hogger she is.. and what a lovely person you are to have saved her.. liked those videos .. theres nothing wrong with her appetite!!
Rachel
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »