Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What size?
Small 7 9.21%
Medium 13 17.11%
Large 32 42.11%
A mix of the above 24 31.58%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2009, 11:11 PM

Big vs Little..what's your choice?

Hi all,

What size dog you do prefer and why?? I've loosely broken it down into 3 categories...small is up to around Beagle size, medium is Springer to Labrador type size and Large is GSD and bigger...roughly....

What did you go for and what influenced you choice...size of house/garden? Cost of looking raising/feeding them? Your phsical strength? Anything else?

Just thought it would be an interesting dicussion, I love hearing peoples expereinces with their dogs and why they love the dogs they do!!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I have had Chihuahua's from being a little girl and as lovely and protective little things they are. I always knew myself the bigger dog was for me. Since owning them I havent changed my mind
Paul&Muttley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2009, 02:38 AM
Muttley is about 80 lb, and that's a good size. I've also met an Anatolian and a Kuvasz who were 120-150 lb, and I liked them (Muttley was impressed). Terrier-size dogs (15-25 lb) are nice, too, and I also liked my neighbor's Papillon. But I'm not too fond of tiny dogs. A proper size dog is about as big as a wolf!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 06:50 AM
My Flat Coats are falling inbetween your medium and large dogs!!!!! They are bigger than Labs but probably smaller than your average GSD...
I like my big dogs though....I like them a lot. I do like some small dogs and would consider them in the future perhaps...but I love my big dogs. I would be scared I would stand on a smaller dog to be honest.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-05-2009, 07:08 AM
I always go for a mix, I love my big dogs which is why I have 3 Dobermanns. They range in size from about 35kgs - 45kgs and stand around 27" to the shoulder. Big dogs with big personalities but then I always chuck a terrier into the mix, Frankie is 10" tall and around 11kgs and likes to chuck his weight about given half a chance. So a small dog with a big personality. I also have a hankering for a Pug, another small dog which works well with my lot. As long as they are all capable of good long walks etc. then I'm happy. I will probably always mix them up a bit.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 07:11 AM
I generally prefer medium or large dogs, but recently I've met some very nice Bichons.
I think my first experience of small dogs wasn't so good.....snappy, spoiled neighbour's dog.
We've got collies because initially my son wanted a dog like our friend's collie and now I can't imagine life without them.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi i've had a JRT and he was a handful, and its always the little dogs that bark and get narky at my girl now who is a greyhound - she just sticks her nose in the air and walks by. I like little dogs but they always seem to be the lairy ones, big dogs are more laid back i think from what i've seen.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I have put a mix as I have one little and one large. But there are various breeds in all catorgaries that I would like.
However I think now I am getting older by the time I come to contemplate future dogs I will go for small dogs as I won't have the strength to realistically manage large ones.
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Don't care - its their temperament that floats my boat!
Pre Mouse I would have said big dog though.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2009, 07:53 AM
I've put mix, as I am wanting a smaller dog in the future, to have a pet with my in the house.
I've always been around a varitey of dogs!

Sarah x
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »