Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fey421
New Member!
Female 

12-09-2014, 08:41 PM

I adpoted a new dog that killed my old one

Last Friday, I went out to take my grandchildren to their morning school bus. The littlest grandchild came out to be with me and let my nine month old American Bulldog/Golden Reteiver mix and my new thirteen month old pit bull puppy into the house. My little female Pekingese must have been sitting in her favorite spot and growled when the pit bull came in and the pit bull attacked her. She was seriously injured and had surgery and finally my vet said she was out of danger of dying. Monday she had her tubes taken out. On Tuesday, she was breathing hard so I took her back to the vet and he said her heart, lungs, etc. sounded fine. That night she began crying from time to time and I intended to take her back to the vet that day. She was alive at 3:30 am but by 6:30 am she had passed.
I am wracked with grief knowing that if I hadn't adopted that puppy she would still be alive. I killed my baby girl!
The pit bull is fine with my two other large senior dogs and loves the nine month old. I know it was not her fault and blame only myself . I have just been going through the motions of living since this happened. How can I get through this?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2014, 08:57 PM
my heart goes out to you,I'm so sorry.Don' t blame yourself,it wasn't your faultMost likely still in shock right now.Think you did the right thing,coming on and talking about it,Welcome.(( hugs))
fey421
New Member!
Female 

12-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Thank you. I love my pekes so much and she was my little girl. I am trying to forgive myself and the two young dogs.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Hello Jeri, what a terrible thing to happen, I can understand that you must be feeling wretched

I am afraid this kind of thing can happen from time to time and you shouldn't blame yourself. I would try your best to put the incident behind you .
fey421
New Member!
Female 

12-09-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm just going through the motions of living. She was cheated out of years of life and love. I think of her constantly.
fey421
New Member!
Female 

13-09-2014, 01:41 AM
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. This dog is wonderful with my larger dogs and my family. She saw my smaller dog as prey. This tragedy was my fault which makes my grief even worse.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-09-2014, 06:55 AM
How sad so sorry. Do you think your little dog maybe had an underlying illness and the pit picked up on it I have heard this before that some dogs pick up on illness and attack.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2014, 07:40 AM
I cannot imagine what you are going through, - utter devestation. You did not kill your baby girl. It was a genuine accident. The important thing is to remember all the good times, allow yourself to grieve, but please try not to feel guilty, you had no idea that would happen.

So sorry, run free at Rainbow bridge sweet peke -

Remember, she would not want you to feel bad x.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Fey421,been thinking about you a lot today Still early days were the grief of losing your girl is concerned.Think that needs more time,its a process and it will get easier.
The feelings of guilt however are a whole different ball game.They will just eat you up inside I was thinking,if the guilt feelings don't start to subside in time,maybe you would benefit for talking to a professional i.e doctor,councillor for example.Not sure how you feel about that,the incident was traumatic for you understandably.Might be helpful to speak to someone qualified to offer advice and ways for you to cope.
(( hugs))
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Interesting discussion but given that the OP is clearly heartbroken over the loss of her wee dog and feels totally responsible for it,maybe be best to continue this debate on a separate thread.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >