Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:10 AM

Puppy Biting

Whats the best way to teach a puppy not to bite?? I know teathing is a natural part of the puppies growing up stage But she is bitting now! And Growling I want to teach her that this behavior is not acceptable pet sprays work for a while but she is persistant about this. he started going for my trouser leg in an agressive mannor like she is challangeing me o.0

Everything else is going so well but some advice about this would very helpfull my only method so far is to leave the room which works to a degree as she goes straight to her bed when she realies she is on her own.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Whats the best way to teach a puppy not to bite?? I know teathing is a natural part of the puppies growing up stage But she is bitting now! And Growling I want to teach her that this behavior is not acceptable pet sprays work for a while but she is persistant about this. he started going for my trouser leg in an agressive mannor like she is challangeing me o.0

Everything else is going so well but some advice about this would very helpfull my only method so far is to leave the room which works to a degree as she goes straight to her bed when she realies she is on her own.

Hi the best article on this is by Ian Dunbar called the Bite Stops Here and explains how important it is to teach a dog bite inhibition by, surprisingly, allowing a dog to bite.

Sounds weird? Read this:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discu...c=64170.0;wap2
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Thats the info I got from the breeder that allowing the pup to bite is all right and an ouch should follow unfortunately I tried this and the problem is she isn't paying attention the word ouch but the info given in the link is very informative.

She is three and half months now so this is something i really want to work on ^___^
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi
any doggy problem is usually part of a wider picture.
So your pup could be bored, hyper, desperate for attention, wanting to pee etc.
Why not get a good puppy book (not one by Cesar Millan ) and read up on it?
I would look at the way you play with and train your pup. Do you reward good behaviour? Do you praise when she does right? Do you have a regular routine for her? Does she get enough exercise and company?
All these will help you and your pup understand each other. Dogs want to please us - they simply need to be taught how to do it.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I know all those behaviors and all though young he is virtually house broken all ready she knows she i supposed to go outside and does just that when she wants to pee or poop. All ready taking her on walks feels more secure with both mum and I around then just the one of us, as I have said she is perfect in every way but when she wants to bite she gets obsessive about usually goes for the trouser leg or the shoes and tries to block me from walking forward and the only effective way to stop this behavior so far is to leave the room and let her calm down which often works well as she goes straight for her bed. I would like to get her out of this behaviour a she three and half months the age in which she must learn everything she needs to but I would like to correct her behavior rather then walk away trouble is once she starts to bite its very difficult to get her attention even with an ouch she rarely pays attemtion to that and just get more excitted when she hears it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I know all those behaviors and all though young he is virtually house broken all ready she knows she i supposed to go outside and does just that when she wants to pee or poop. All ready taking her on walks feels more secure with both mum and I around then just the one of us, as I have said she is perfect in every way but when she wants to bite she gets obsessive about usually goes for the trouser leg or the shoes and tries to block me from walking forward and the only effective way to stop this behavior so far is to leave the room and let her calm down which often works well as she goes straight for her bed. I would like to get her out of this behaviour a she three and half months the age in which she must learn everything she needs to but I would like to correct her behavior rather then walk away trouble is once she starts to bite its very difficult to get her attention even with an ouch she rarely pays attemtion to that and just get more excitted when she hears it.

Hi, you said earlier you used "pet sprays"? Not sure what sort you used and why but do you think that using those may have made her worried?

I am a little perplexed at the statement "the age in which she must learn everything she needs to", I am not quite sure what that means?

Have you tried reinforcing calmness by treating her when she is calm and ignoring her when she is a bit OTT.

When particularly does she exhibit these behaviours?

Do you provide her with anything to carry or chew?

Sometimes you have to consider HOW you are saying ouch (sounds weird I know) but this can have an effect (especially on terriers).

If you could elaborate on what she does it might prove helpful.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:51 AM
It really is perfectly normal, all puppies playbite, part of growing up She is very very young yet. Their attention span at 14 weeks is seconds.

The easiest way to cope is distraction For this you need to keep lots of toys & chews to hand throughout the areas she is in - your level, not hers.

As soon as she starts - say your training word in your case "ouch" lift a toy/chew & encourage her to take it instead to bite & chew on. Its repitition & eventually she will get the idea that "playing" will get much more pleasurable results ie - you spend time encouraging her to play, rather than walking away

Dont try to rush her too much, enjoy the puppy days, they soon pass all too quickly

What breed/type is she?
nickynockynoono
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Velvetboxers beat me to it

When George was a pup, I had toys and loads of chewable things scattered all over the place for me to reach easily. If he tried biting me, I said "Ah ah" I replaced my hand with whatever I could grab from the following; chewy toys, empty loo rolls, plastic bottles, rolled up socks (Hmm, could be dangerous, LOL)

Please don't scare your pup with sprays. You are her guardian. She needs protecting from fearful things.

Gwen Bailey's Perfect Puppy book was my bible. Well worth buying.

Nicky
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 10:59 PM
agree with what everyone has said

distracting her and if she is too hyped up leaving the room is a good thing

Punishing her for normal playfull puppy behaviour is not a good thing - its really like smacking a baby for crying

Show her what she CAN chew - and spend time playing fun games with her with the appropriate toys
reward her when she is being calm and doing the things you would like her to do