Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 02:33 PM

Hip Dysplacia....dilema

Zak is nearly 7 and has been diagnosed since about 3 with HD.....he always has managed fine on Glucosamine. Now Zeita is older and better on lead I have started taking them for walks together which they both love, however Zak insists on playing chase and running after the ball as fast as he can. It worries me that this might not be good for his hips . So do I go back to seperate walks or let him carry on enjoying him self in the hope that he knows when enough is enough.

So far he has not been stiff after walks and seems to have no problems.....but is it wize to let him run like this? or is it quality of life? oh I don't know

help or advice appreciated

Mel
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 03:10 PM
I would continue to exercise them together I've had a dysplasic dog(hip score 34:34=6he was extremely active all his life & never had any problems with stiffness in his hip joints. Jessie's hip score is 29:27=56 & she will continue to have the same exercise-free running with the other dogs. My dogs have always self regulated theirselves & I always keep them slim & well muscled up. You might want to consider swimming as an addition form of exercise
littlelab
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I agree, I have a dog with severe HD and she is 7, she has always come out on all the walks, she walks at her pace and occasionally has a hooley around with Jack, all be it like a Kangaroo , but she knows herself when enough is enough
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I haven't had direct experience of HD but as I understand it, muscular support is a great help to the hips...it would therefore seem to make sense to let him have the exercise, particularly as you are not seeing any negative side effects.

I would probably see what my vet's thoughts were though.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I haven't had direct experience of HD but as I understand it, muscular support is a great help to the hips...it would therefore seem to make sense to let him have the exercise, particularly as you are not seeing any negative side effects.

I would probably see what my vet's thoughts were though.
That is assuming the vet has an indepth knowledge of HD of course. I'm guided by the vet who does my X ray plates for scoring-she has over 30 years experience of treating & diagnosing dogs with HD
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 04:00 PM
thanks everyone, I appreciate your input i just wanted to reassure myself that it would be ok and that he would know his limits. he does love running free it would be such a shame to stop him . So we will continue up until a time he doesn't want to any more.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Activity in an adult dog will make no difference at all to the HD, the problem being calcium deposits that cause pain but if the dog wishes to run then that will increase the muscle development and help support the hip. So yes, let the dog do as it wishes and deal with any pain as and when it happens.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Teagan has severe HD (hipspore 86), and the orthopedic surgeon told me to let her do what exercise she wants - including running around like a loon!
It's good for her, and she has nice big muscles!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Activity in an adult dog will make no difference at all to the HD, the problem being calcium deposits that cause pain but if the dog wishes to run then that will increase the muscle development and help support the hip. So yes, let the dog do as it wishes and deal with any pain as and when it happens.
Could`nt agree more, that is exactly what we do....

In the end you have to weigh up quality of life... does he enjoy his walks, would he be happier without them.

Deal with what you have when you have it.

My boy loves to run free, he may pay a little the next day, but I just control his exercise for a few days...

He would be depressed if he could not run with Millie.

if it takes a little time off his life, than so be it, at least he enjoys what he has now.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Could`nt agree more, that is exactly what we do....

In the end you have to weigh up quality of life... does he enjoy his walks, would he be happier without them.

Deal with what you have when you have it.

My boy loves to run free, he may pay a little the next day, but I just control his exercise for a few days...

He would be depressed if he could not run with Millie.

if it takes a little time off his life, than so be it, at least he enjoys what he has now.
totally agree, many thanks