View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Showing a dog that isn't breed standard?

I've never shown my dogs before, and never really felt the urge to show them, but my mother keeps suggesting I try to show Cooper as he is so pretty.
He can't be shown in 'big' shows, as he has a patch (Dalmatian) but would be be eligible for companion shows, or any other shows?

It might be fun to take him in a best puppy class, most handsome dog or dog judge would most like to take home class if they do those?
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-08-2010, 09:10 AM
show him show him show him!! the companion shows are good fun and at the end of the day win or loose its all quality time your spending with him (ps can we have a sneek preview)
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 09:14 AM
I agree take him along and have some fun. We show all of ours at fun local shows and not one of them are KC reg!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I've shown Murphy at a KC Open Show before. He rolled round on his back, showing his fat tummy to everyone, nearly wee-d up my leg with excitement and licked the judge square in the mouth

However, it was lots of fun! We didn't win anything, but Murphy does have the prestigious title of Waggiest Tail 2009 (from a fun/companion show).

It's a nice day out, and something different to have a go at!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I've shown Murphy at a KC Open Show before. He rolled round on his back, showing his fat tummy to everyone, nearly wee-d up my leg with excitement and licked the judge square in the mouth

However, it was lots of fun! We didn't win anything, but Murphy does have the prestigious title of Waggiest Tail 2009 (from a fun/companion show).

It's a nice day out, and something different to have a go at!
well he woulda got a place from me lovely!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Fun dog shows and novelty classes at companion shows too. I wouldnt suggest you showed him in the pedigree classses at companion shows, as they are still judged to the breed standard, or should be. Its entirely up to you though.
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2010, 09:25 PM
patches would be forgiven at a companion show i would of thought, after all a dalmation with patches is still a dalmation
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 09:22 AM
You can show your dog at any kind of show you wish.

If he is KC registered you can do those as well.

There is no such thing as a perfect dog every one has a "fault" re breed standard.

I started out showing with a dog outside breed standard and I had lots of fun with him. My first show was a breed open show and he got 4th place and his first rosette.

Some judges are very critical of cosmetic faults just ignore them, some will judge confirmation first cosmetic second.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I couldn't show my first Beardie Una in Open Shows as she was on the KC activities register. I used to show at companion shows and she usually got a place and was even Reserve Best In Show once. She was a mismark with too much white on her face and one blue eye but was placed on her construction and movement.

Mind you I think it helped that OES are allowed blue eyes which I think confused some of the judges