Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Companion shows

Now I am understanding----it isn't possible to report a dog at a companion show to the KC as they don't have to be registered.

If they want to go in Companion dog club classes they do have to be registered in the Companion dog club

Companion show is the new name for exemption shows.

I could never see the point in working to raise money for a charity and having to pay a sum of that to the KC to be allowed to hold it! Especially as they had no say over anyone who attended.

Just for clarification since I was told on another thread that they could be reported!

rune
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Think it might be easier to start from scratch
!) Companion dog Shows (formally exemption shows)
These are usually under KC license (usually £10) any one can enter (both peds and cross breeds) you dont have to have a dog thats KC reg and theres usually a few fun classes such as waggiest tail etc. The confusion seems to be the KC Companion register, some times a show will put on a special class which can only be entered by dogs on the register, but you can go in the rest of the classes as normal.

2) Fundog shows
These are usually unlicensed and again anyone can enter regardless of wether there peds etc.

The only stipulation regarding entries in the Companion shows licensed by the KC is that dogs who have won a place in the stud book ie CC winners or JW winners cant enter in the pedigree classes but they can go in the fun classes.
Hope that helps.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Sorry forgot to say I'm not sure what you'd do if a dog was fighting and causing problems, at a fun show its up to the organisers to tell the owners but at a KC event I assume you can report it to the KC.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Think it might be easier to start from scratch
!) Companion dog Shows (formally exemption shows)
These are usually under KC license (usually £10) any one can enter (both peds and cross breeds) you dont have to have a dog thats KC reg and theres usually a few fun classes such as waggiest tail etc. The confusion seems to be the KC Companion register, some times a show will put on a special class which can only be entered by dogs on the register, but you can go in the rest of the classes as normal.

Spot on and I know Jacqui knows this but only Pedigrees can enter the Pedigree classes - no cross breeds / labradoodles etc. can enter these at a KC licensed show but all can enter the novelty classes

Fighting dogs - not sure the rules on this - when I judged a couple of dogs had a minor discussion - I just got the person to stop their dog from staring at the other one - wasn't a full on fight or anything.

I would think the judge/organisers really should do something though?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks----I was confused by another thread as I was told you could report people at companion shows----and I don't think you can---they certainly couldn't be fined and banning them might be difficult!

It is clearer now.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Yep---it was the companion register that was confusing me.

rune
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Tilly is a member of the Companion Dog Club and you're right. They do have classes at some shows that only members can enter. (Although we've been on it for a year and yet to find one!)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 12:56 PM
It has never been an issue at the fun shows we run---did have a starey rescue boxer at one but we sorted it out so he was avoided in the ring and she was careful outside so that worked OK.

I'd have no hesitation in asking someone to leave and giving them their money back.

I asked someone at one of our first HTM shows to move away from the ringside as her GSD had gone for a dog working in the ring---her answer was that it was the other dogs fault for looking at hers DUH!

She is judging me this w/e so I am not holding out a lot of hope (G)!

rune
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Any I've been to the people running it tend to ignore the fighting or just so they will 'keep on eye on it' Suppose it would be hard to report anything that happens because even if the dog was KC reg the owner could just deny it was so they don't get reported!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Tilly is a member of the Companion Dog Club and you're right. They do have classes at some shows that only members can enter. (Although we've been on it for a year and yet to find one!)
I've been to a show recently with three classes had to ask had never heard of it til then
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >