Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
michelle69
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2006, 10:40 AM

size of puppies when born

my king charles puppies are now one day old, but i am concerned about their size and how often they feed?what is the average size of them, and how quickly should they be growing??also how often should they be feeding off the bitch??thanks
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 10:47 AM
don't mean to be rude, but shouldn't you have looked into this B4 you planned the litter?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 11:01 AM
I think it varies from litter to litter but the average weight of pups is between 5-8oz's.We used to weigh our pups every other day and as they got older every week.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Forgot to add pups that are doing well should double their birthweight in a week after birth.
michelle69
New Member!
Female 

15-09-2006, 11:07 AM
thanx nissanmad...that helps..i didnt realise the weight should double
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Good Luck with your new pups Michelle
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 11:20 AM
thanx for the pm, didn't realise that you took so much on! I know absolutely nothing about newborns (furry or pinkskinned!), but there are loads of people about here that I am sure will help you. Perhaps it would help to put a reminder about your postion (and how you came by having the pups) at the beginning of your threads... it's just that if I didn't know, then I am sure others missed your story too

best of luck...oh and pics of the pups would be much appreciated!!!!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2006, 11:47 AM
I have cockers, the average birth weight is 'supposed' to be between 6-8oz.....I've never had a pup born under 10oz and my heaviest has been 14.1/2oz !!!!!

I think as long as the pups are happy, quiet, not dehyrdrated, then mum is doing her job.......like I said on your previous post, when my Jasmine had pups she would feed them, clean them, stimulate them for toilet duties, then get out and leave them until next feed time! They grew into lovely chubby, clean pups.

I know it is a worrying time, pups don't always double birth weight in a week, but as long as they are gaining and not losing then it should be ok.

Good luck.