Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
YES, without him reading this, completely unsuspecting, displaying some kind of unwanted behaviour and with some sort of training in Gnasher's mind.

Press the button..... Zaaaaaapppppppppppp
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Would the OP please be kind enough to answer a question which several people have posted several times, namely:

Did you try the e collar on yourself?

If not, why not?

Could you please answer this as it's clear many people would appreciate an answer?

I suspect many of us really feel that if you're going to use one of these devices on your dog, it's only right that you try it on yourself first.

If it's okay, I'd like to know that too, but as I said about your OH, when you weren't expecting it, and then someone shocks you, so you weren't psyched up about it, and it was a total surprise.

Also , are you willing to press the button on the remote when Ben is wearing it?
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 05:13 AM
Let me say that those collars hurt like hell! I happen to believe that anyone who is using a tool like that should have to feel what it feels like... Similar to when cop cadets have the pepper spray sprayed in their eyes as part pr their training
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Mish, you know me better than this, stop being obtuse.

I don't know howOH always calls the dogs, because I am only with him at weekends. But at those times he calls them the same as I do, except his whistling is crap compared to mine! He uses the word Come, followed by his pathetic attempt at a whistle!

I have different types of whistle, all done through my front teeth. A long piercing whistle, if my first "toots" have not succeeded. I say the dog's name first, just once, to get his attention, followed by the Come word, and if necessary the toots, and then the long piercing whistle if I don't get a result. With Tai, I get a result, Gucci, mmm, sometimes, but he is not my dog, so I am not so concerned about him, it's up to my daughter to train her own dog. Ben, now, following the dreadfully cruel abusive treatment that he has had to suffer twice, always responds now, looks up at his name usually, responds to the Come word, because that is the trigger for a treat, and then if he hasn't already broken into a canter to come back to me, he gets the long piercing whistle.

I don't believe in repetition, if something hasn't worked once, then don't repeat it on that particular occasion.

Doubtless, everyone including your good self, will pick holes and tear MY preferred routine apart - I don't care, it is what I do, and it works, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it !!

AT least i HAVEN'T lost my sense of humour!!
IE you have both done F.all to train this recall, tryed something, TRYED not TRAINED, for the weekend, then moved on.

You really dont deserve your dogs imo.Time & effort

BTW please dont PM me anymore, its pathetic, you can say anything you want to me on this thread, defend your self on here so everyone can hear your drivel.

& since youve never tryed it on yourself, you are just a wimp & a cop out.
Have it on for the day tomoorrow & get your OH to zap you on & off for a hour, so u never know when its coming

"he looks up at his name usually" the Ecolar not worked then has it.
100% nameresponse is success. How strange my last two northern breeds ive trained have 100% name response, one pure sibe, one akita x mal. Much more untrainable with their heritage than your Sibexgsd x BC, Lets face it GSDs & BCs are both KNOWN for their good recalls
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-03-2011, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Dogs are dogs I do not believe in wrapping them in cottonwool!!

We nearly lost Tai back in the summer. He loves to go crashing through the undergrowth doing doggie stuff. He impaled himself on a branch or stick lying on the ground which imbedded itself deep inside him, having run in well over 12 inches. How the stick missed all his vital organs, we shall never know, but it did. He had to have massive surgery, his abdomen and rib cage had to be opened up like a side of beef, and the brilliant vet had to work her way along the path of the branch or stick to make sure that she got out every little bit, packing it with antibiotic powder as she went. She saved Tai's life.

Do I let Tai still run through the woods, bounding through the undergrowth? Of course I do! He would be miserable if I wrapped him in cottonwool and kept him on a lead just in case he got impaled on another branch.

I do the best for my dogs, they are all insured, they have the best food, they get walked twice a day for miles, they dominate our lives, yet I will not try and protect them from all danger - just in case.

I will take sensible precautions of course, but I believe it to be cruel in the extreme to confine dogs to a life on the lead, that is my opinion and I am entitled to it.
Ok gloves off now I did not suggest you wrap him in cotton wool I didn't wrap either of my dogs in cotton wool illness took both of them very young they lived up till that time a full and happy but safe life. Yes things can happen of course they can. My youngest son impaled himself on a stick badly a few years ago it was his choice though being stupid he is human and learnt not to be so stupid next time dogs cannot make that decision we set them up to fail. Of course accidents happen with them and we all understand that but purposely letting your dog run free when you know he has a high prey drive and the possibility of him being shot or are you exaggerating the trigger happy farmers is totally uneccessary and fool hardy.

I really do not know why you posted you knew what this post would create you seem to of got your wish and got everyone up in arms re: your dogs well being and safety.

You should of researched the breed better before purchasing or rescuing the breed you chose sorry x breed even more reason to research the two or three or more breeds. You don't seem to have much dog savvy I am afraid. Not In my opinion anyway and I feel a lot of others opinions either. All I can say now is poor Ben.

Better a live dog on the end of a long line and harness and no fear of being zapped especially when half the time it seems he is out of sight and possibly wondering what the hell is going on than a dead or dying dog because he has been shot or a stag has turned on him.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Gnasher, I know that you have lots of posts to wade through if you were going to reply to them all, and concede that may be difficult! However, what I think would be good is if you could perhaps do a few general posts for all of us.

It would save you time and might be easier all round

For example:

Post 1 could be:

A detailed post on exactly what methods were tried on Ben, for how long, what sort of trainer suggested that particular method. How many repetitions were made of whatever method, so that the dog could learn. What the result was, etc.

Post 2 could be:

What advice the neighbour, dvd, etc gave on the "how" to train with shock collars. And what type of collar you are using (Dogtra? Innotek? Petsafe?).

Just an idea, but as so many posts have asked for more details I thought it would help. I think as you've posted about this and also intend to continue with updates, it is only fair that the rest of us have a clear idea of what has been the "run up" to this.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Just a few thoughts on the whole sheep/livestock/chasing deer etc.

My dog, a BSD, has a high chase drive. She lives to chase. I take her off lead into the New Forest where there are:

pigs, cattle, horses, riders, joggers, deer, donkeys, etc

I achieved this through lots of reward based training, details include initial desensisiting and habituation plus lots of good basic training (recall, sit, down, wait etc) plus more advanced training (chase recall, distance commands).

All of this was done using postive and predictive reward, e.g. kong on a rope which she was trained to love (play item chosen with care to reflect her preferences of exciting unpredictable thwackiness and movement! ).

However, in spite of all of this, and her being very responsive, trained from a puppy, being walked in the areaa for years, one thing I don't do is let her off near FOALS!
Because for some reason she realises that these are different.

Weaker? more playful and gadding about? Smell different? more skittish?

I am not sure and cannot ask her. But I do know for sure that if she was off lead too close to a foal, she would be likely to want to chase it.

So, she is still off lead on the walks in Spring BUT I keep an eye out, know where the herds aare, and recall her immediately and put her lead on when coming up to foals.

She is fine with this and enjoys recallling and even being on lead, as we have fun together whatever we are doing and that includes lead walking. In this situation her lead is let out and she has freedom of movement so a very loose lead walk, then once away from the foals she is let off again. However I can do recall/whatever is needed in case.

IN the Lake District, I exercised her off lead in Rothay park Ambleside, but on lead (long line and harness) during our daily walks as she was fascinated by sheep in spite of being habituated generally to "animals" and I think may have tried to chase.

It was fine, she had loads of exerdise and was a very happy dog throught our whole holiday.

I have posted this for 2 reasons:

1) to show that dogs will show a lot of interest in some types of animal even though they may be habituated to others.

2) It is possible to have a dog who is full of life, energy and who lives to chase, under control and happy

I totally appreciate I had my dog from a pup and also that she is more biddable possibly than Ben, but I believe the scenario is adaptable.

Wys
x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:25 AM
hey wys,

Can i ask for Gnashers information, did you acheive this over a weekend?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
hey wys,

Can i ask for Gnashers information, did you acheive this over a weekend?
Yes of course

(not not at all, it took a while! Hard to say how long, it was kind of ongoing with various bits of training etc starting and finishing at different times. Lots of intense training at the beginning of course. I practiced chase recall using toys many times a week, over and over.
I would not say a dog who has independent traits would be so easy to train but always worth giving it a go and using management etc as I did.
Also continual awareness of the environment esp. in the early days!)

I would say I was confident around year 2/3, when she was fully matured. But she was off lead most of the time from a small puppy - I was just careful when near anything that could stimulate her with movement, esp. sudden movement..

Learnt that from my first two, one of whom landed on the rump of a pony runnng in the marshes who luckily was bucked off. I had thought they were OK with horses and ponies. They were - until they moved suddenly or fast!!!!

I learnt a heck of a lot that day

Hence I worked really hard with this one. And I have to say, it's all been thoroughly enjoyable as I love training and so does she, yay!!

Wys
x

ETA she was also very good around the guinea-pigs, perhaps this helped
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Is it not time this thread was locked?

Personally I think there's nothing anyone can say that can be classed as 'constructive'!

I had never even heard of an e collar until I joined Dogsey!

I would never in a million years try one on any dog but I have to say I dislike the tone of some of the replies to the OP.

I don't feel the Mods on Dogsey do their job fairly at all!
Closed Thread
Page 54 of 83 « First < 4 44 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 64 > Last »