Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-08-2008, 08:00 PM

Dogs in rescues.

I was just wondering if anybody had any info as to how many dogs end up in rescues. Thanks.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Don't know of figures, but I would imagine quite a lot if the shelter where I walk the dogs is anything to go by! It's a crying shame, some of them get so stressed, they really can't cope with kennel life. Sometimes I sit on here with a very heavy heart after my daily visit.......
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

27-08-2008, 09:05 PM
It is so sad. Any prospective owners should do their homework very carefully
and make sure the breed they take on is really the breed for their lifestylle.
just the same if buying from a breeder ... please for the sake of the dog you choose make sure you are aware of what you are taking on for the next 10 or more years.

I too would not hazzard a guess as to exactly how many end up in rescue , suffice to say too many, but I will say that lack of education, ihas a lot to do with why it happens.

It is all about educating prospective owners.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Many, many thousands. We started a national breed rescue in February 2007 because of the increasing welfare crisis in our breed. Since then we have rehomed over 230 unwanted Siberian Huskies - the vast majority of which were indiscriminately bred by puppy farmers/backyard breeders only interested in the money their dogs can make them and sold to naive and ill-prepared new owners.
It's getting worse, not better. On Saturday we had 37 welfare 'phone calls - a new record - most of them wanting to give up their dogs for a variety of reasons.

Mick
charliegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Sadly, I think it will get worse. With prices soaring on everything pets are becoming the unnessesary comidity.
halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
Sadly, I think it will get worse. With prices soaring on everything pets are becoming the unnessesary comidity.

I agree, many animals will be dumped or passed on into rescue- if they are lucky.
I know there are over 30,000 rabbits in rescues and many more are dump in the wild, usually to die horrible and fearful deaths. We took in one a couple of month ago.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2008, 09:26 AM
It seems we live in an increasingly disposable society, I've got 2 rescue dogs and 4 rescue cats { I have 6 cats in total] looking at the Hope rescue site, where we got one of our dogs from, and many Tears site, it seems lots of people are surrendering their dogs and cats, or worse taking them to a vets to be PTS , often saying they are moving and can't take them,I also personally know of someone who moved and left their cats behind, some of the animals being dumped are family pets of many years, I don't understand how people can leave them or take them to be put to sleep.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2008, 09:42 AM
I think it would be difficult to get a figure because there are many breed rescue organisations as well as places like RSPCA, Dog's Trust, Blue Cross etc.

I know our Dog's Trust is always full (they always have three or four litters of pups as well).