View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Should rescues give priority to UK dogs?

Continuation from the Crufts thread which was getting a bit off topic as the discussion was turning to whether UK charities should give priority to UK dogs.

Also being discussed was the pts policies of dog charities.

If anyone wants to view the financial statements for registered charities to see how they spend their money, they are publicly available. Personally I prefer to review these before I make regular donations to a charity as I have a thing about the proportion of income spent on admin costs ~ should be as low as poss IMO, subject to the usually very caring staff being given something more than the minumum wage!

As the DT policy was under discussion on the previous thread, I wondered how people felt about the "Sponsor a Dog" scheme that has been so successful in raising funds. What if a non-UK dog being homed in a non-UK rescue was to suddenly appear on the DT website ~ would those who think UK dogs should have priority withdraw their sponsorship?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
I personally think yes they should deal with UK dogs because by taking them from else where we are just allowing other countries off the hook for their own failures. If we are responsible for ours then everyone else should be for theirs.

I wasn't sure about the DT policies on this when I made my will but will be looking into it now as we will be renewing it soon and yes it will change if their policy does.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Can you ask a mod to move some of the other posts to here? Don't really want to repeat what I've already said? (and want to respond to other posts in there about this subject).
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Can you ask a mod to move some of the other posts to here? Don't really want to repeat what I've already said? (and want to respond to other posts in there about this subject).
Yes happily ~ how?

Do I just contact admin?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Yes I do, but cant see how it could be policed though.

My personal opinion is this, we have a huge problem as it is, to many dogs not enough homes, bringing in dogs from abroad does two things, (talking Ireland in particular) 1) it makes our problem worse, 2) opened the door for more back yard breeding in said country.

When we take dogs from Ireland all it does it open spaces for more dogs , the cycle goes on, the PF keep breeding because they can dump in rescue, the rescue sends abroad to open spaces for more dogs being dumped, the pf keep breeding and so it goes on.

the same can be said here ofcause, but we have to deal with our own problem first, and make other countries deal with theirs.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
'Of course!' Is my initial reaction. But will be interesting to read the thread as it develops.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 10:55 AM
For those who disagree....

How do you feel about individuals who bring dogs back?
Does it make a difference because they are using their own money? or do you feel the same because they are giving their 'place' to an imported dog when they should have looked at home first?

We have a dog from Spain here and have rehomed one from Thailand that someone brought back...both needed new homes due to unforeseeable problems - Would it have been Ok if they could keep the dogs, but became wrong because they then had to rehome?

I find it difficult, because as much as I see a huge problem here, they are all dogs and they all deserve a good life.

As too allowing more space for Irish PF's......surely if you take that stance, do you not agree with rescues full stop? after all, they allow PF's here a way of disposing of unwanted dogs.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:03 AM
How does the UK manage to support charitys in other countrys in the first place when the UK is in so much finacial trouble not mention we just got out of a ression!

My answer no we shouldnt! It doesnt matter if its the right thing to do its just wrong anyway we can't afford to take on more responsibilities. It puts a lot of pressure on our charities to take on dogs most UK charities probably couldn't afford to look after anyway why should we help??

Our own K9 re homing centres are full to the brim with our own native dogs how is it possible to help out other countries???
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:04 AM
What you chose to do with your own time and money is your own business Tassle as I am sure seeing a dog first hand would be very hard to pass it by. Good on you for caring.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
How does the UK manage to support charitys in other countrys in the first place when the UK is in so much finacial trouble not mention we just got out of a ression!

My answer no we shouldnt! It doesnt matter if its the right thing to do its just wrong anyway we can't afford to take on more responsibilities. It puts a lot of pressure on our charities to take on dogs most UK charities probably couldn't afford to look after anyway why should we help??

Our own K9 re homing centres are full to the brim with our own native dogs how is it possible to help out other countries???
Animal Charities can chose what they do with their time/money as they get no government (tax) help. Whether tax money should be sent abroad is for another thread I think.
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »