Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Assessing dogs in rescues/shelters

I know there are lots of members here that help/run/are involved with rescue organisations so I just wanted to canvas view, perhaps discuss, the merits & methods of assessing dogs that come into rescues & shelters. From your experiences:-

What happens to the dogs when they first enter a rescue? Are they bedded down in a kennel with food & water & left alone to adjust? Are they vet checked at the start? If there are any immediate, but non-life threatening medical problems, when are they dealt with?

How soon after they arrive are they assessed for temperament & behavioural problems? How soon are they mixed with other dogs?

What methods are used to see if they are dog-reactive, or people reactive? Who does the assessing?

Does all of the above vary depending on the dog or do rescues have set procedures that have to be followed?

In the following scenario like this what would you prioritise?

Eight dogs are arriving because an elderly owner has died, his/her family don't want the dogs he/she has left behind & the rescue has agreed to take them on. They vary in age from about 9 months to 12 years old, various breeds & crossbreeds. They don't have any obvious health problems, other than minor ailments. Other than that, you know nothing about the dogs. If you were in charge of the rescue that had agreed to take these dogs, what would you do & in what order?

PS ~ I have no particular axe to grind & this is not based on a "real-life" situation, it's purely a matter of interest to me, so feel free to comment based on personal experience or what you think would be the "right" thing to do.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2010, 10:51 AM
In an ideal situation the Dogs records would be held by a local Vet, who may be able to give further info.
If an eldely person has 8 Dogs, all in good condition I would have assumed they might have had some outside help with exercise...getting them to the Vets etc. Would ask immediate neighbours. (one might like to know Dogs are safe, or even adopt)

After that the Dogs would be watched for their personalities to show, who pairs up with who, which one is the loner etc & the kennel staff get to know them.
This is done in a non viewing area...radio on, warm & dry etc.

They are health checked & if needed have a trip to the groomers.

If one isn't doing well in kennels they find their way into the house or into a foster home.

Kennel staff & experienced volunteers get to interact with new Dogs.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 11:10 AM
we don't use kennels simple as, all dogs go in to foster homes, and live with us, our dogs etc, in the situation you describe we would probably split them in to pairs easier to find 4 foster homes than 8. We have been asked to help a couple of general rescues by taking dogs from kennels, both have been fine in kennels with no problems, and twice i have ended up being badly bitten, we really don't believe that it is possible to assess a dog properly in a kennel situation.

Before we took any dog to the vets we would let it settle for a couple of days, you usually have a good idea on how they're going to be after that.