register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: When do you supervise your dog(s) outside?
They are supervised 100% of the time when outside 23 34.85%
They are only supervised 50% of the time when outside 11 16.67%
They are only supervised some of the time when outside 30 45.45%
They are never supervised when they are outside 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I think if Flynn wanted, he could jump one side of the fence as it's only 5", the other side is higher but he's never shown any interest in doing so. I forgot to shut the gate properly the other day and it came ajar about a foot, I went in the shower etc but still came down to find the dogs inside the garden. They know they do not venture out the garden unless we say.

I only supervise them if I have time, mostly the back door is just left open and the dogs come and go as they please. They dont destroy anything, they dont bark excessively so I just leave them to it but my eyes and ears are always open! I live on a quiet estate so it's fairly safe for them to be in the garden without me.

Sometimes I even leave Jed outside when I go back to work after lunch because I know he can be trusted 100% but Flynn hasnt quite reached that stage of trust yet.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
velcro dog
he wouldnt go out unless i was watching (unless there was another dog there)
he even barks b4 he poos to make sure i am watching
Anyway I dont see the point of having him on his own outside one of the points of the crate training was so he gets used to the fact when I am not here he is clam - its only play time when Im here
Velcro dogs here to - don't like to be outside unless I am.

(Ps loved that he barks when he's had a poo so that you know )
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I have voted 50%, I always have to check that the gate is shut (as next door use it sometimes) but apart from that, the odd check outside is al I do. They just play together and have fun diggin up my garden......lol!!! No honestly they do just play with there rubber pully toy thing for ages..I just leave them to it, Flower has mastrered pulling the door handle down and lets them both back in again!!! xxxxx
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Majority of the time Max is on his own outside as the back door is left open for him most of the day in the summer and he will go in and out as he pleases. I'll go out and check on him every so often though if I know he's out there.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 09:29 PM
my back gate can't be opened from the outside and its securely fenced so i don't worry about mine being outside unsupervised.. I have voted for some of the time.
also I have the back door open allot in this weather.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 09:54 PM
if im not out there, im just behind a window!!!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 10:19 PM
My garden is open plan and the back half is owned by neighbour upstairs, she is happy for Tonks to roam on both parts of the garden, and her dog does the same.

Unfortunately our gardens are at the back and side of the house and i do not trust someone not to open the gate and try and take Tonks away as she can be seen from the road. As she is an enthusiastic puppy i am sure she would go with anyone!

Hence i always supervise her when outside, but sometimes this supervision is working while i sit on the sofa where i can see the gate and calling her/going out to her every ten minutes or so to check on what she is doing.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 10:23 PM
They do go out without me but with a lock on the gate and I go out to check regularly or look out of the window.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 11:17 PM
I check on them some of the time but as the garden is dog proof and it backs onto fields they don't need to be supervised 100% of the time. Also have two security lights which light the whole garden when they're going out for last wees for the night.
When the weathers nice I just leave the back door open and they run in and out when they feel like it. Their choice (obviously when I'm in)
spot
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I voted some of the time as I too have a secure garden with six and a half foot high fencing and my gate is padlocked. Mine are quite happy there. We used to have kids trying to rile them through the fence,but we now have the spaces filled in and since they very rarely bark no one really knows they are there .
I get so angry when reading threads like this Eunice also said she never leaves her dogs outside shops and now I find that they are locked in a garden thats totally secure How the heck am I supposed to steal Rye and Pellow - its just not damn well fair!

Actually mine are most of the time watched over while outside in the garden, however, it is very secure, it has to be as I have a wanna be goat.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >