register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: When do you supervise your dog(s) outside?
They are supervised 100% of the time when outside 23 34.85%
They are only supervised 50% of the time when outside 11 16.67%
They are only supervised some of the time when outside 30 45.45%
They are never supervised when they are outside 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Supervision when outside?

Following on from a thread I started the other day....

When/how do you supervise your dogs when they are outside in your garden (not on a walk)

Would be pleased if you posted any other comments too
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Most of the area the dogs have is with 9ft wall/gates and I feel dog proof for them - i.e. safe and no chance of escape - the gates are padlocked too.

However, another area we use is totally supervised - as there is areas they could jump - Charlie is unable to be allowed off in this area being a very good escapologist. The gordons don't tend to bother but wouldn't like to take a chance on me not being there if they tried.
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I have seven Mastiffs and a very big dog proof garden,but sadly the local kids feel a need to be climbing over,throwing stones,bricks,fireworks at my dogs,so if they even sooo much as want a wee,I have to go out with them,it does seem to have settled down on this score now,but that could be because I have become more vigilant,we have six foot fencing,the patio and side dog run is fenced off to about four and half foot,(Mastiffs are not prone to jumping over things)we also have a large side garden full of fruit trees,which is surrounded by prickly things,blackberry bushes etc,to try to stop them from climbing over,but they just throw clothing old mattresses onto the fencing to get over,and we also have a loarge flower garden with nice lawn where dogs are not allowed,with Steves workshop and motorbike shed is.
Wendy
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 02:03 PM
We have a very docile, lazy dog who goes out into a garden with 2 x 6ft walls and 2 x 5ft hedges. So she is about as secure as she could be. Our gate also has a "please shut the gate" notice on it too, even though it is only friends and family who use it.
Our last dog was an escapologist who had to be supervised the whole time.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 02:08 PM
I didn't vote because I would say Bryan is supervised 90% of the time

IF he's outside on his own it's only because I've popped inside for a minute and I can still see him from inside the house.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 02:14 PM
mine is half and half as the garden has 2 areas one dog proof one and then half of the garden so am with them when there but only so i can clear up after them as soon as they do any thing, and my terriers like to dig if they can....lol
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Our garden is relatively small and the fences very high with a high gate that is locked from the inside, so she is perfectly safe if she is outside. We do not have any passers-by on the garden side of the house.

Sydney actually does not really like to be outside on her own anyway much. She likes to be where she can see us
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 02:19 PM
When mines are in the garden,I am,their never left to their own devices,xxxxxxxxx
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I have put 50% as when Storm was alive I tried to make it 100% of the time, now if they are in the back garden they are on their own unless and I will just check every few minutes. If they are in the front or side gardens its 100%
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 02:38 PM
My garden is safe, the dogs are only supervised if Im in the kitchen, then I can see them from the window, but the back door is open all the time so I can hear them,
tbh they dont seem to want to get out anyway, even if the gate is left open,{yes my OH does sometimes forget to close it } they dont really go anywhere, Vinnie would grass them up if they did lol
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »