Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 03:30 PM

Protector Pad bed, anyone used one?

Hi guys,

Well Takara's still having problems bless her and everything's wet through.

Someone kindly gave me loads of towels etc for her but the incontinence pad doesn't work so it goes straight through to the bedding underneath which is going to end up costing us a small fortune in getting new quilts to put under it.

I had a look online and found this:
http://handicappedpets.com/acc/beds/
Scroll down to the Bolster Bed... I was thinking of measuring the double bed I have for T and Eddy and maybe getting one of these, or the orthopaedic pad below it for them.

I can never guarantee who's going to sleep on what side and the incontinence pads I got get pushed around when they move about so they're not protecting the bedding underneath.

I thought by getting one of these, they won't need loads of extra bedding underneath as it looks quite comfy and it shouldn't seep through to the rest of the bed as that's what it's designed for. At the same time, if I get the orthopaedic one it should help Eddy's legs and it doesn't matter who sleeps where.

The larger ones are quite costly but in reality, it'd be instead of spending two lots on separate beds and may end up saving us quite a bit as we shouldn't need to change so much.

What do you think and has anyone tried them before?
Petra
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2008, 08:46 PM
How old is Takara?

When our dog (she is 11) started being incontinent, I spent hours trying to find a new bed, I couldn't find a suitable waterproof bed for love nor money. I just ended up buying several throws, and tonnes of incontinence pads. Cost me a small fortune in pads and washing.

The best thing I did was take her to the vet, and came away with a bottle of Propalin.

Good luck with your bed search.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi Lottie the pads you have posted about look very similar to a human product called 'Kylies' , a type of pad they use in hospitals and nursing homes. They are very good, the top stays relatively dry a bit like a babies nappy liner .

I think they may be easier for you to obtain here are cheaper than the dog variety ,here are the details of just one supplier

http://www.beaucaremedical.co.uk/Con...FQ2rQwodH1V5hg
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I have never used them but they sound quite interesting I shall go and have a browse myself
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I use kylies for my dogs... I get them from work.. We only use them for 6 months and, when they get replaced, I get the old ones...

None of my dogs are incontinent, and I only have the kylies on top of their beds, because they're so easy to wash.

Cheers
Lene
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Oh thanks guys,

Can't believe I never checked back here!

I'm getting her some propalin, hopefully that will sort it, but if not I'll have a look at the kylies

Thank you!

Petra - she's only nearly 3 - she was 2 1/2 years old when it developped.
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2008, 05:52 AM
Kylies are fantastic. They wick the moisture away from the surface and feel dry. Expensive though.

On another forum someone recommended Vetbed with a thick wad of newspapers underneath. Apparently this has the same effect of wicking the wet away.

Good luck.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Poor Takara, I hope you manage to find a solution soon so you and her can rest a little easier. Any news on those test results yet?

Heidi
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Lottie, I can recommend "kylies" they work really well (on people) and are used in lots of hospital and nursing homes. They are really worth the money imo.