Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lesley Beeton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Attenti ai cani

We have a sign at the front door, which shows two fierce-looking Doberman-type dogs straining at the lead. Our neighbours gave it to us as a thank you for keeping an eye on their home while they were away. Funny thing is, their dog 'grazed' the postman, but ours just look a bit mean with their dark, wrinkly faces.

A few weeks ago, the workmen next door tried to engage the boys over the fence. They were most indignant and let me know. When I investigated the barking I found a sheepish workman, apologising for upsetting the dogs! 'They are very good guard dogs', he said, and I agreed.
We have not trained them to be guard dogs, but I have no doubt that intruders would not be welcome. When we are out on our walks, it is the little big dog that takes a stand against strangers we meet.

In my Motherland, however, many breeds of dog are trained as guard dogs for homes and property. Saturday morning classes are held in the park, where dogs are taught to attack. This is a very regrettable situation, in my opinion. Dogs should be positively trained and will reward their humans with loyalty and protection.

I am pleased, though, that we do have two big boys on the other side of the fence. There has been another break-in in the Village. The Police have said that having a dog is a deterrent. But with dog-ownership comes responsibility, and it is often irresponsible owners who give breeds such as the Staffordshire bull terrier a bad name. Perhaps 'good dog citizenship' isn't such a bad idea?

Happy dog walking in 2012!

Lesley (aka Mad dog woman of Shackleford)