View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Cani-cross Commands - A question specifically for those experienced in cani-cross

What commands do you teach your dog specifically for cani-cross?

How did you go about it? In particular I'd be interested to hear how you taught a 'slow' or 'steady' command.
akna
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Hello there: I have used and trained my dogs initially left, right, go on and steady. This was because i ran agility and these were obvious commands. I can still use those commands but when i started running sled dogs the commands were hor (left), gee (right), hike on (go on/run on), on by (for pass by without turning or when overtaking) and steady. I found when running with the dogs a steady command you can pull back your lines with your hands and then tell them to go on again so they become used to slow and quick. Not being funny but if you got a beagle on the end of a line its not going to be too difficult to lean back, dig your heels in, grab the line and stop!!! I dont think thats the case if you got a 50kg hund on the end lol oh i then use the same commands on the bike too so its universal. Also useful to use universal commands because if someone else runs your dog the dog will know and understand.
Fluffypawz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2009, 10:37 PM
I use the same as when they are running with the scooter or on a rig. Gee, Haw, On By, Steady and Leave.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by akna
Not being funny but if you got a beagle on the end of a line its not going to be too difficult to lean back, dig your heels in, grab the line and stop!!!
Absolutely - the big one is less than 12kg!

But despite this I find it really hard to stay upright when running downhill on rough ground when they start going too fast. Even when walking down steep, rough hills it'd be handy to have a 'steady' command.

The older one responds well to 'wait', but what I really could do with is 'just slow down a bit and wait for your old mum'!
CloClo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Tee-J doesn't really know any commands that he uses specifically for CaniX, although the 'shush' would help at the start! Then again, his dad doesn't know his left and rights so it wouldn't be that helpful. All we do is yell for him when we see him at the finish, as he tended to stop when he saw it, and not go through!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Ok, how do you teach gee and hor? Did the wiggle run the other weekend and there was some really tight 'wiggles' through the trees where it would have come in real handy! I currently use a high pitched 'this way' and he will take a quick look back/judge by the tension on the line which way i mean if he isnt paying attention i will clap to the side i mean as well.