Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Just wondering, your thoughts!

Hi
My oh is always wanting to move up to scotland.
One day we may as I think it is lovely up there to, but its all my family I will have trouble leaving.We are very quite people and love the country as we have always lived in herefordshire by little villages, we are not town/city goers at all.
Anyway I was wondering as there are quite a few of you up there on here where do you think is the best place to live in Scotland??
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I think a lot of English people don't realise how big Scotland is (sorry, not saying you don't, but I once had someone ask me if I could just 'nip to Wick' to have a look at something for them. They had no idea that it would take me 5 or 6 hours each way!)

Where to live depends on loads of things e.g. how remote do you want to be - do you prefer warmer and wet or drier (I won't say dry!) and colder?
Do you want mountain scenery, rolling hills or coast
Will you need to find work up here
will you be travelling back to England on a regular basis?

I stay in the Borders and I love it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I always wanted to move to the Western Highlands after having holidays there for the past 10 years or so.

However, I now live in the Lammermuir Hills in Berwickshire (between Edinburgh and Berwick) and I LOVE it. The Highlands have dramatic scenery and I still adore it (and go on hols there) but it is much wetter. Here on the east coast it is much drier (although colder) and I prefer this to constant wet weather

As Hali said, it completely depends on what you are wanting from your move. Have you visited many places in Scotland? Which were your favourite parts?
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Me, I'd say move here, Highlands, loads of hills, there's beaches all over the place within an hours drive at the most. Tons of places to go if you want to walk your dog. But there again...I'm biased.
dogless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2008, 10:41 AM
HI, I live in Angus (near Dundee)- 20 minutes away from the glens which have the most spectacular scenery, you feel like you're the only person in the world (apart from loads of sheep). If u enjoy the quiet life then u will love it! Scotland only has 5 big cities so if the city life aint for you- theres plenty places to avoid them!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I spent five years in Helensburgh, for me it gave everything within reasonable reach, I went ski-ing at Glencoe in the winter, sailed on Loch Long in the summer, and it was an easy train journey into Glasgow for the big shops. We lived just outside the town and in those days it was pretty rural, may have changed now, but I have great memories of the place and if I ever returned to the UK it would be in my top three places to consider!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I have to say the west coast Highlands. Dramatic Scenery, great quiet clean beaches, forests, waterfalls, myths and legends, history, castles, allegedly the gulf stream to provide warmth!!, yes there are midges and yes it does rain but it is beautiful and where I would love to live eventually
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 11:17 AM
My oh loves the highlands but I dont like the wet weather, My oh has stayed in Aviemore and Castle douglas.
I have never been up to scotland, but know its very big thats why I wanted some idea, I didn't know that the higlands were that wet, oh wont tell me things like that as he knows it will put me off sneeky
I dont like it to romote, Its nice to now there is some one near by even if it it down the road a bit.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I live in the city just now (Glasgow) so i can't really say much about the quiet life but i know there is a lot of beautiful places that would be great for what your looking for,especially some of the place mentioned before.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Why don't you come a little touring holiday in the summer (I use that term loosely!).
The borders and the highlands are great, even if you stayed in Edinburgh or Glasgow you could visit quieter areas within an hours drive and see what area's would suit you!
If you come before July pack an anorak!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >