Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2012, 10:40 AM

A bit unnerved

Both our dogs are ex-strays and from the local pound. Never had any problems with Jake, and we've had him 7yrs now.

Yesterday, my Dad was walking Jake and Jasper though some local woodland, when a man comes out from behind some shrubs. Dad said he rather suspected the man was a druggie (not being judgemental - we get a lot around here so we know the signs) and the man started shouting at Dad about how long have we had Jasper, where did we get him from etc? Dad said Jasper was an ex-stray and we'd had him a approx a month. The guy starts raving saying it's his mate's dog and he's called Marley. Dad replied that it was all above board, Jasper had been recorded with the Dog Warden, and after remaining unclaimed for 7 days, had been re-homed. Dad walked off quickly and the man didn't pursue him, just went back into the bushes.

Obviously, this has shaken us up. Jasper wasn't in good condition when we got him, he was underweight and had an untreated skin problem which resulted in bald patches. He also has various scars and lumps, which our vet described as "old scar tissue". We have a formal letter from the Dog Warden saying Jasper is legally ours. Jasper wasn't microchipped when we got him (he is now).

I've suggested Dad doesn't walk that route in future, just in case this man is waiting for him with "friends". Dad is a big guy, but he has a heart condition and I'm worried for him.

We tried the name "Marley" on Jasper last night, and he wagged his tail - but to be honest, he wags his tail at anything we say to him. My Husband jokingly called him "Farty Dog" after he dropped a particular stinker on Saturday and Jasper wagged his tail.

Not sure why I've posted this, needed to get it out of my system, I guess. According to the DW's letter, Jasper is ours, and, I'm sorry, if you haven't noticed your dog is missing after 7 days, then surely there is something wrong? Is the letter from the DW enough to prove our ownership of Jasper?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 10:56 AM
As you rescued him legally its all above board, IME they would have to prove its theirs.

I wouldn't worry sounds like a nutty rant more than anything....and well done for rescuing him xxxx
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks youngstevie - I feel a bit better now.

He's such a lovely boy, I fell in love with him instantly.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 11:59 AM
With the letter you have from the DW and the vets report about his condition I can't see anyone making you return him anyway.

Must have been very unpleasant for your dad though I think he'd be best staying away from that area for a little while - better safe than sorry and all that
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
...<snip>

Must have been very unpleasant for your dad though I think he'd be best staying away from that area for a little while - better safe than sorry and all that
I tend to agree with this. Not everyone goes down the official, or 'legal' route when they have a grievance.

Not ashamed to say, if I'd rescued and rehomed that dog and was asked the same question by someone I did NOT like the look of, I'd have lied through my teeth. But I expect your dad was 'taken off his guard'.

I would not have immediately told them he'd been a stray or that I'd only had him a month. Especially in view of the poor condition he was in when you rescued him. Heaven forbid he should ever end up back with 'original owner' because they decided to snatch him or whatever.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks Baileys Blind - I think the shouting and raving shook Dad up more than he let on, to be honest.

He's going to take another route instead. Like you said, better safe than sorry, as it was a bit remote where he was walking.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pysces View Post
Thanks youngstevie - I feel a bit better now.

He's such a lovely boy, I fell in love with him instantly.
so pleased.......well done Im sure he is glad you have him
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks Tangutica. You are right, Dad was thrown completely, and he said he didn't think; when someone fires questions at him, he just answers them.

Jasper is never let off the lead as his recall isn't very good yet and he loves chasing things (like buses!). We'll keep an even closer eye on him, just in case.
Grumpy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Two different people have said my dog was theirs (they lied as she has lived with me from pup) he might just be saying that in the hope he gets the dog given to him. It is horrible when you feel threatened like this. I get unnerved when people ask how much I paid for my dog and where I had them from, I always drop in the fact that they are spayed and need expensive vet treatment.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Keep your 'paperwork' with you for the time being when you are out.

I would just look gobsmacked at them and say - this is MY dog, registered to ME, she is microchipped and that can be checked! What ARE you on about? Or even call the Police and say they were frightening you.

Hell the last thing you want to do is take a chance on this itinerant snatching your dog. I'm not so sure it would be 'mistaken identity' they sound the sort that would (or have mates that would) have owned a dog that got into such a bad condition.

Just avoid that place for now - that's what I'd do.

And BLESS YOU for giving that dog a loving home.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >