View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm with TPS but it doesn't stop a lot of them.
It won;t stop those from overseas or those that are computer generated.
Plus, once you are with TPS you can't update your number so you have to be very, very careful about always checking for boxes to check is you don't want marketing etc after you've signed up.

Plus, some companies still sell your details on anyway.

And they are getting wise to TPS as they can only stop sales calls.

I had one 30 minutes ago saying she knew I was with TPS but it wasn't a sales call, it was a survey.....who was I with for my gas and electric......when was my house insurance up for renewal. I put the phone down.

Or the initial call isn't a sales call, which is allowed, but they transfer you to a dept who is.
I was questioning one so much he even said 'Madame will you shut up' (quite proud of that he was in a complete tizzy ) lol

Luckily I have all new phones in the house and if the number does show up the phone can block it itself if I say so........so they can ring and ring but I'll never know )
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
If you say that whoever they are asking for is dead, they cross you off the list.
Oh believe me - I tried that one - to no success! Dunno which marketing companies the ex-owner of our previous number signed up to - but they had the tenacity and persistence of... something tenacious and persistent!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Sal, I'm so sorry for you, you didn't even get a call from 'Crystal' telling you about the fabulous, once in a lifetime, holiday you've just won. All she needs is your bank details.....

Ha Ha, that made me laugh Harvey! My dad speaks to people in Greek when they start asking for 'the homeowner', I'm not sure how he doesn't laugh but they usually say something like 'I'm sorry, it's a very bad line' and hang up. Mwahahaha
My grandma tells them hes dead!! Even though he isnt!! That usually shuts them up "oh, erm, so sorry... bye"

Shes so naughty!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 08:25 AM
We are quite lucky that we get very few calls, we are ex directory and registered with the TPS. We don't block witheld calls though as it would stop people like the vets getting through. We do get annoying international calls though and automated calls . Downstairs we have caller id so I don't answer dubious looking numbers. Upstairs is annoying as we don't have caller id on that phone.

I have been asked before for for me by name and I tell them that she is not here, then they ask if I am the new homeowner, I have been so tempted on occasion to say something like no, I'm just the person robbing them but you never know, they might ring the police and report a burgalry at my house!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 08:40 AM
I feel very sorry for those people who are making the calls, being on the receiving end of the sort of verbal abuse and even frightening attitudes of the respondees.

It is hard to get any job nowadays, it is not their fault that they have to make these calls, there may not be any other form of employment open to them.

I always ask myself how would I feel if my daughter was being sworn at on a daily basis.

It is simple enough to either ignore the calls or just replace the receiver without resorting to obscenities or ranting is it not?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Why do you not subscribe to the Telephone Preference Service? Then you do not get any, or very very few.

Same as the MPS, I do not get unsolicited mail or phone calls.

And it is FREE
I did. Cut the calls by about half but still get, on average, 20 a week. They are all from India. I believe that the preference service doesn't apply to companies 'phoning from abroad.

Now, I hear an Indian voice and just say not interested and hang up. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, I can't just ignore incoming calls, but I truly wish I could.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I feel very sorry for those people who are making the calls, being on the receiving end of the sort of verbal abuse and even frightening attitudes of the respondees.

It is hard to get any job nowadays, it is not their fault that they have to make these calls, there may not be any other form of employment open to them.

I always ask myself how would I feel if my daughter was being sworn at on a daily basis.

It is simple enough to either ignore the calls or just replace the receiver without resorting to obscenities or ranting is it not?
I agree that I would not be swearing at people, frustrating though it is to keep receiving calls, it would take a lot to make me swear at people down the phone. But you have in the past said that you occasionally blow a whistle down the phone at cold callers. I wouldn't imagine they appreciated that any more than being sworn at ..........
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 09:21 AM
My lad is deaf so uses a minicom so when a sales call comes in they hang up when they realise that. He also get very anxious at times for the smallest of reasons and the stream of calls really upset him so now he only plugs the phone in when he wants to make a call and we use messenger to contact each other and family when we want to chat
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 09:59 AM
I just put the phone down if it's a company etc.
Don't say a word - much easier!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I agree that I would not be swearing at people, frustrating though it is to keep receiving calls, it would take a lot to make me swear at people down the phone. But you have in the past said that you occasionally blow a whistle down the phone at cold callers. I wouldn't imagine they appreciated that any more than being sworn at ..........

I agree it is not nice but I think a loud noise is not so emotionally draining as hearing a lot of abuse, it can eat into a person's self worth, whereas a loud noise does not do that.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >