Female 

15-04-2010, 04:24 PM
There are loads of Mike's books on ebay just now

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks for that xxxx I checked out your link and am interested in a number of the books but so far I have ordered the Golden Eagle one off Amazon xx I have to say that although I like all birds of prey, if I had to choose a fav it would be the Golden Eagle xxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:10 PM
ps Moobli , I am guesing a connection to Mike ref your Dogsey name and the story of his GSD of the same name...? Xxxxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
This is, of course, possible. However, surely the farmers concerned would have to prove their loss and also how the lambs were taken?
Sorry I am reading backwards xxxx

Well, I am guessing that the first payout was made and then the research was done as the photographer speaks of the claim being made in the mid 90s.

Just found this, not the same case of course as it is much later on but it is clear that there are those against the birds and those for them:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4813644.ece
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
ps Moobli , I am guesing a connection to Mike ref your Dogsey name and the story of his GSD of the same name...? Xxxxxx
Moobli was the first book I ever read of Mike's (about 15 years ago) and it has remained one of my fave books ever since. I then read some of his others and it was really down to his writing and photos of the Highlands that I had my first holiday up there all those years ago I then wrote to Mike and we chatted on the phone for a few months before I met the man himself on his way up to the Highlands to try and find another isolated place to rent (but unfortunately he hasn't yet and he is now in his 80s). It was a privilege and a pleasure, but he is a bit of a character

I hope you enjoy the book
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:30 PM
By the way, Moobli is my favourite of all Mike's books, followed by Out of the Wild and Last Wild Years. If you do enjoy the Eagle book and decide to try some others, definitely have plenty of tissues ready for Moobli! It makes me weep every time I read it, and I have read it quite a number of times now!

Ripsnorter also loves Moobli (the book, not me )
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Sorry I am reading backwards xxxx

Well, I am guessing that the first payout was made and then the research was done as the photographer speaks of the claim being made in the mid 90s.

Just found this, not the same case of course as it is much later on but it is clear that there are those against the birds and those for them:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4813644.ece
That is similar to the article I had previously read. I can't quite believe the figures of lambs being quoted, but can definitely believe that Sea Eagles will, and do, take lambs. I think a more in-depth independent study should be undertaken to find out exactly what percentage of lambs are being taken (alive) and then either work out a compensation scheme for the farmers who are losing out, or else find a way of deterring the birds from taking lambs. I would be totally against the controlling of the SEs as there simply aren't enough of them.

It is a difficult situation really.

What does your OH think (he used to be a shepherd didn't he?).
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:38 PM
That is a great story xxxx
I am sure I will enjoy the book and thanks very much for introducing me to his books xxxx I am sure I will be buying many more of them xxxx
I have also read a great book which was about a Golden Eagle:
http://www.hummingbird-house.com/flyingfree.html
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 06:49 PM
By the way, Moobli is my favourite of all Mike's books, followed by Out of the Wild and Last Wild Years. If you do enjoy the Eagle book and decide to try some others, definitely have plenty of tissues ready for Moobli! It makes me weep every time I read it, and I have read it quite a number of times now!

Ripsnorter also loves Moobli (the book, not me )
That is similar to the article I had previously read. I can't quite believe the figures of lambs being quoted, but can definitely believe that Sea Eagles will, and do, take lambs. I think a more in-depth independent study should be undertaken to find out exactly what percentage of lambs are being taken (alive) and then either work out a compensation scheme for the farmers who are losing out, or else find a way of deterring the birds from taking lambs. I would be totally against the controlling of the SEs as there simply aren't enough of them.

It is a difficult situation really.

What does your OH think (he used to be a shepherd didn't he?).
I agree it is a difficult situation. I know for a fact that they do bring alot of money to areas they are at through tourism, that is a plus for them, thankfully.
Ref OH, his is something of a convert these days when it comes to animals and bird life and his attitude towards them has changed, greatly. I would say on this subject he would be on the side of the Eagles and their right to survive but would feel for farmers if their lambs were truly being taking in such large numbers, though I know he does not take the huge numbers sometimes quoted as gospel.

I thought the Moobli book would be sad hence I was thinking of not buying that one, I am a whimp when it comes to things like that
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Some good news for Sea Eagles, hopefully!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/8672303.stm

Sea eagles have a "minimum impact" on lambs' chances of survival, according to the results of study commissioned by Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH).

The fortunes of selected lambs in three flocks in Wester Ross were monitored to help determine whether large numbers of livestock fall prey to the raptors.

Crofters in the area and on Skye had claimed the birds fed on their stock.

SNH said the study of lambs in Gairloch suggested less than 2% of lambs' deaths were directly linked to the birds.

Environment Minister Roseanna Cunningham said the report was a "timely and valuable piece of research".

Radio tags

She added: "The sea eagles are a wonderful part of our natural heritage and their reintroduction has been an outstanding success.

"But we also recognise that farmers and crofters are rightly concerned about their livestock and it is important we develop our knowledge and understanding of this issue.

"Where there are problems with sea eagles predating on livestock we will look at maintaining and improving schemes to find ways to help farmers manage their stock to co-exist with these magnificent birds."

Lambs were fitted with radio tags so they could be tracked and observed by field workers. Shepherds were also asked for their accounts of sea eagles.

Government agency SNH said seabirds, such as fulmar, were the main source of food for sea eagles and that less than 2% of deaths among lambs could be directly attributed to the eagles.

The study was undertaken by the Food and Environment Research Agency (FERA).

Ron Macdonald, head of policy and advice for SNH, said the agency had produced a detailed scientific assessment.

He said: "Their findings are in line with those of previous studies carried out on Mull and data collected across other areas where white tailed eagles are present.

"This work was supported by crofters who allowed their flocks and holdings to be the focus of surveillance for the period of the study. They also contributed knowledge, observations and shepherding experience."

He added: "We will continue to support ongoing surveillance of sea eagle presence in the area, as recommended by the study and will work closely with the crofting community and other partners to take forward the good work of the steering group."

'Almost exclusively'

Ewen Mackinnon, of the Scottish Crofting Federation and member of the project steering group, said questions remained to be answered.

He said: "Lamb mortality in this area was significantly down on previous years and the evidence from the study indicated that sea eagle predation impact on the lamb flock was minimal.

"This is good news for the year 2009 but also leaves open to question what might be the yearly variations in predation impact.

"Although we would hope that this would remain minimal, continued vigilance will be necessary."

RSPB Scotland said the study underlined the information it had gathered since the reintroduction of sea eagles, which were once native to Britain before being hunted to extinction.

George Campbell, of RSPB Scotland, said: "The balance of the study's findings reflect the knowledge we have gained over the past 25 years since the birds were first reintroduced on Rum - that their primary source of food is almost exclusively focused on seabirds."
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >