View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
upallnight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2010, 04:49 PM
OMG this is awful, poor child and poor wee dog!!!!!!

Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
awwww poor Jack Russel Puppy on a flexi lead the child had hold of the pups lead, they stopped at the crossing pelican lights, but flexi lead was not on lock and the puppy didn't stop it carried on walking on the long lead it never stood a chance the poor kid is devastated I hate those leads
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't like flexi-leads much but have to use one for Cherry as she is fear-reactive to strange dogs. I put it on lock for walking on the pavement and only extend it on the heath/parks. However, the other Saturday when we were walking back home on the pavement we saw a man with a Lhasa Apso walking along so I swapped the dogs round to my other side so Parker was nearest this dog as he is very sociable. We stopped and chatted and to my horror Cherry's flexi-lead brake went and she charged after the Lhasa to head-butt it and because it wasn't on a lead it went quite near the road but fortunately I was able to grab Cherry back. I felt awful and apologised profusely but this had me really worried. I am using a new flexi-lead now but hold it on the lead part rather than the handle in case the same thing happens again. I still think the other owner should have had his dog leashed as it was near a quite busy road but obviously it wasn't his fault and it could have been a really nasty incident.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Oh god, poor puppy. And poor you having to witness such a terrible thing.

Personally, I hate flexi leads. I don't use them.

Yet again this is irresponsible use of these leads - the child should never be allowed to walk the dog on a flexi lead in this environment.

I believe they should only be used in exceptional circumstances where there are no other dogs (apart from your own) or people around, such as in a field etc if the dog cannot be let off lead. Other than in situations such as, I hate them.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I find you have little control with a flexi-lead. With a flexi you have 2 options only. Brake or release. A long training lead is more like reins with a horse - there is a constant dialogue between dog and owner, from loose-lead walking (not possible with a flexi) to gentle pressure, to emergency brake.
In fact the flexi isn`t flexible at all IMO.
This is how I feel about them as well - I feel they give me very little physical control over the dogs.

Then there's the chance of dropping the plastic handle end which can possibly hurt and/or frighten the dog.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 07:50 PM
omg how sad

sweet dreams little one
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6