MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
That is so sad!!
But I cannot say I agree to banning them
It should be illegal to have them unlocked beside a road
Fair enough - a ban on them being used on the Public Highway would do.

But who would take any notice of it? Too many numpties still walk their dogs without leads along the pavements without understanding the wider implications.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 01:11 PM
This is NOT an issue of the lead. This is an issue of a parent letting a CHILD walk a dog. It's a horrible situation but it is not an inanimate object's fault. The parent should never have allowed a child to walk a dog, no matter what kind of lead it's on.

The leads should not be banned. People should be more careful and pay more attention. I walk my dog almost solely on one of these leads (on sidewalks near the road) and have never had and never WILL have a problem. I don't want to be forced to use a short leash because other people are morons.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Oh my god, thats awful. What a tragic thing to see. But I agree, the child should never had been allowed to walk a dog on a flexi by a road. These leads have there place. Tilly has one and it is very useful. But when will people learn that a roadside is not the place for one. I've lost track of how many dogs I've seen wander into the road beacause the owner is not taking any notice. I feel for the family concerned, especially the little girl but at the end of the day they are responcible for this poor pup losing his life. If one life is saved from someone reading this thread then the poor little mite didnt die in vain. Hugs to you too, it must have been so traumatic to see. xx
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Oh that's awful, poor little hting
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Poor child , poor puppy.

I walk Ollie on a flexi lead sometimes by the roads it is always on short and locked when on the roadside.

I agree some people are idiots using them and but I think they will be whatever they use. Have too also agree why was a child walking a dog in the first place without an adult being present and in control (I presume there wasn't one around).
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Oh my god, thats awful. What a tragic thing to see. But I agree, the child should never had been allowed to walk a dog on a flexi by a road. These leads have there place. Tilly has one and it is very useful. But when will people learn that a roadside is not the place for one. I've lost track of how many dogs I've seen wander into the road beacause the owner is not taking any notice. I feel for the family concerned, especially the little girl but at the end of the day they are responcible for this poor pup losing his life. If one life is saved from someone reading this thread then the poor little mite didnt die in vain. Hugs to you too, it must have been so traumatic to see. xx
i dont agree with banning them either

the comment was flexis should be banned, not long leads.
so you wouldnt be forced to use a short lead

having said that, flexis are pants on so many levels
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I used a flexi lead for a long while and had no problem with it. It's not just children who are a danger to their dogs using them. I've seen adults using them allowing the lead to extend to 12-15 feet on a pavement with the dog in front of them. They don't seem to realise if the dog can go 10 feet in front it can suddenly dart 10 feet to the side and run in front of a car.

I don't think they should be banned, it would be much better if stupid people were banned

It's a shame for the child as he/she will probably blame themselves but it's the parents fault, they probably didn't warn the child of the danger of having the long lead or how to use it appropriately.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Oh that is awful.

But I agree the lead is not to blame. Children and flexi leads are an absolute disaster waiting to happen!

I have used them and never ever flexed them unless in a field. A flexi should never be extended on a pavement or any area where the dog needs to be under control, that is just stupid!!
Double Trouble
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Oh no - not aother one! Those leads are lethal. How many dogs have died because of them? They should be banned (for other reasons too!).
I'll second that!
What a terrible accident to witness.
The child could be traumtized too.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
the comment was flexis should be banned, not long leads.
so you wouldnt be forced to use a short lead
I find long leads way too cumbersome and also a potential for disaster. If you can't snag the whole thing while the dog rushes off you're in the same position as a dog on a flexi. They easily get tangled up, get caught on things, get in the way. I tried a long training lead once and it got dumped in favour of the flexi. With that I can lock it down, don't have to worry about its getting tangled up and caught on things. I find it much easier than using long leads.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »