Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by gemsoph View Post
I really do appreciate everyones advise and im seriously thinking about what to do. And as for Claireanddaisy, i am not a troll and i do no how a dogs reproductive cycle works i am not that stupid, i am on here for help not to be bullied, i care about my dog and love her very much.
Glad we've given you food for thought, hope you don't feel we're picking on you hun but breeding is a nightmare.
My first litter all got an infection and I ended up with £700 vet bill and had to give the pups medicine every two hrs and one of the pup's eyes didnt develope, I was lucky mums best friend took her on or I would have had to keep her.
Litter two the mum got an infection similar vets bill and we thought we would lose her.
The I had a pup with a cleft pallet who couldn't suckle and we had to have him put to sleep again the costs were high.
gemsoph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 12:47 PM
claireanddaisy i didnt delibrerately mated my bitch, i didnt no untill today that she was in season as i had not seen any blood spotting or anything untill today thats when i started worrying and joined this forum for ADVISE not to be bullied, i love my dog tyvm and wouldnt want anything to happen to her. There was nothing i could do once the 2 dogs were tyed as it is impossible to seperate them. Thanks for your advise morganstar i admit i am unexperienced and just want help.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by gemsoph View Post
claireanddaisy i didnt delibrerately mated my bitch, i didnt no untill today that she was in season as i had not seen any blood spotting or anything untill today thats when i started worrying and joined this forum for ADVISE not to be bullied, i love my dog tyvm and wouldnt want anything to happen to her. There was nothing i could do once the 2 dogs were tyed as it is impossible to seperate them. Thanks for your advise morganstar i admit i am unexperienced and just want help.
Your welcome hun.
gyalis_star
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
And by the time the signs are there she's in whelp its too late to stop it. The fact the dogs arent health tested is enough for my to say not to do it.
Bullmastiiffs suffer from Hip Dysplcia, PRA Elbow Dysplacia and all these need to be tested for.
If the op does go ahead with the litter is she prepared to pay the vets bills when the pups go wrong after they've been sold.
Like it or not we live in a litigation society and NO one should be breeding from un tested dogs OR bitches, for the sake of the puppies.

By the way I'm not anti breeding I actually breed my welsh.
I am FAR from the finger crossing type if she had asked about complications my opinion on spaying or anything else for that matter instead almost every single reply was some horror story. We all sit on this site happly stroking our pups forgetting if sum hapless person didn't cross a few dogs we wouldn't have the companions we so love today not 1 person explained how you know if you dog is pregnant.Opinions should be given when asked for
Other wise iam pretty sure she was only asking advice and is now pretty panicked. She may not no much but iam very dissapointed in the way people reacted we all love our dogs and maybecome scared when we hear of people potentially doing something stupid but imagine if you had asked that question and those were the replies you got
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2010, 01:00 PM
4 litters bred here. 2 sections. One litter with no survivors. It's clear you are not prepared for any complications concerning breeding and whelping a litter.

YES, bitches die. Puppies die. Sometimes they all die despite your best efforts. Anyone who puts a bitch to a stud dog should understand that with ANY whelping there is a risk of death.

Add to that the work load of properly raising a litter of puppies! Hope fervently that your bitch will raise the puppies and have enough milk. Hope that she does not get mastitis or poison milk. If you have to hand feed puppies it is every 2 hours for nearly 3 weeks, and they still might die.

Breeding dogs is not only the miracle of birth, the grim reaper stalks every breeding.

Best of luck to you. You won't know for 4 to 6 weeks if she is in whelp or not.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by gyalis_star View Post
I am FAR from the finger crossing type if she had asked about complications my opinion on spaying or anything else for that matter instead almost every single reply was some horror story. We all sit on this site happly stroking our pups forgetting if sum hapless person didn't cross a few dogs we wouldn't have the companions we so love today not 1 person explained how you know if you dog is pregnant.Opinions should be given when asked for
Other wise iam pretty sure she was only asking advice and is now pretty panicked. She may not no much but iam very dissapointed in the way people reacted we all love our dogs and maybecome scared when we hear of people potentially doing something stupid but imagine if you had asked that question and those were the replies you got
I wouldnt have asked the question because it wouldnt have happened. My dogs and bitches are seperated and if as the op states the dog my trying to mate the bitch all weekend I'd have seperated them immediatly and not waited till they'd tied.
Are you really saying crossing dogs is acceptible!!!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by RedyreRotties View Post
4 litters bred here. 2 sections. One litter with no survivors. It's clear you are not prepared for any complications concerning breeding and whelping a litter.

YES, bitches die. Puppies die. Sometimes they all die despite your best efforts. Anyone who puts a bitch to a stud dog should understand that with ANY whelping there is a risk of death.

Add to that the work load of properly raising a litter of puppies! Hope fervently that your bitch will raise the puppies and have enough milk. Hope that she does not get mastitis or poison milk. If you have to hand feed puppies it is every 2 hours for nearly 3 weeks, and they still might die.

Breeding dogs is not only the miracle of birth, the grim reaper stalks every breeding.

Best of luck to you. You won't know for 4 to 6 weeks if she is in whelp or not.
Excellent post!!
I dread every litter and losing pip squeek at 2 days old after had feeding him was soul destroying.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Breeding dogs is not a cheap moneymaking hobby if done properly.

Before even contemplating breeding from a bitch or dog it is very important to consider why you want to breed & firstly it should always be to improve the breed.

Then you have to consider whether or not you have the room & experience to keep the puppies until the right homes for all of the puppies(with the exception of any you intend to keep)are found. You then have to consider do you have the room & money to take back any of the puppies at any stage in their lives should their new owners no longer want them for whatever reason.

Then all the health tests available should be done on both dog & bitch, after studying the pedigrees of both to ensure that no bad health or character traits are being bred to.

Then the money side kicks in. before breeding a litter you really need to have at least £1,500(if not more)available for vets fees, then sufficient extra money to feed the bitch & puppies, worm them, buy/make a sensible whelping box, have room to house the bitch & puppies away from the rest of the household for at least 2 weeks & have the time & energy to devote yourself totally to the bitch & the puppies for at least 4 weeks.

Then how do you choose people to have your puppies, you might have up to 14/15 puppies to find homes for as Bullmastiffs, like all large breeds, can have very large litters.

If the answer to any of these is no then you should get your bitch to the vets asap, have her given the injection to abort the litter(which will bring her back into season BTW)& then keep her away from all male dogs & then have her spayed in 3 months time.

This is the only sensible & caring course of action for your bitch.
gyalis_star
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I wouldnt have asked the question because it wouldnt have happened. My dogs and bitches are seperated and if as the op states the dog my trying to mate the bitch all weekend I'd have seperated them immediatly and not waited till they'd tied.
Are you really saying crossing dogs is acceptible!!!
Of course crossing is acceptible in fact its geneticly encouraged purebreed dogs are known to have more problems than crosses as there gene pool is smaller if u breed pedigree dogs then no but if you have to dogs that just so happen to mate they are far less likely to have the problems pure breed dogs do
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Of course crossing is acceptible in fact its geneticly encouraged purebreed dogs are known to have more problems than crosses as there gene pool is smaller if u breed pedigree dogs then no but if you have to dogs that just so happen to mate they are far less likely to have the problems pure breed dogs do
This is not always the case, when cross breeding you double up on the problem..and both dogs should be tested for tests that breed needs either way pedigree or not a breeder can be took to court and sued for selling puppies that later develop inherited diseases, or problems that could have been tested for!!..
Page 5 of 24 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »