View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2008, 01:56 PM

Wght pulling\Agility any advise n views on it?

Hi, was reading info about dogs and it had a whole section about dogs having jobs in there life, and how it is really good for them mentally and physically.
It said because so many dogs dont have jobs or dont do the jobs there were bred for or have a type of job, that is why so many have behaviour problems through (bordem and not being mentally challenged enough) and health probs ie (over weight).
Although hades gets plenty of exercise and meets plenty of doggie friends, it did make sense to me when I read it and made me think how boring a dogs life can sometimes be for them!
It said a job could be anything from Herding sheep, Gundog trails, Agillity, weight pulling, Obediance etc or even as simple as carrying a back pack on walks!
It got me thinking and I think I might get hades in to either weight pulling or agillity.
So just wonder your thought on this theory and if you had any advise or past expierence in Weight pulling or Agillity?
Thanks guys any input welcome!
Jax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I agree dogs should have some sort of mental and physical activity. I don't know anything about weight pulling but agility is a fantastic work out for a dogs mind and body. I noticed you have a bull breed in your avatar - lots of bull breeds enjoy flyball and are very good at it. (except my Bullmastiff who spends most of his life asleep ) Jax
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Most dogs enjoy physical and mental workout - agility covers both these aspects as well as being huge fun for owner and dog alike!

I would love to do field trials with my Setters but sadly we don't have anything nearby for training.

IMO if a setter can do agility any dog can!

I too have no experience/knowledge on weight pulling so can't really offer and advice on this.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Agility looks great fun...I think hades would love it, hes so quick and can easily clear a 5 ft fence belive it or not! hes like tigger!
Ill have to google agility in my area, Im going to do the same with weight pulling to..I know alot of ambulldogs do it and think hades would be good at that to..the way he pulls when he on his harness!
But I dont think I'd get him into weight pulling till hes at least 18 months maybe even two...as hes 12months and still a growin chap!

Thanks for your replies guys
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Both agility and weight pull are great fun if you have a dog that likes them

Mine all adore agility and my Malamutes love weight pull too - my girl gets ridiculously excited waiting for her go at weight pull

I think anything that involves working with your dog is a fantastic idea and maybe try a few activities and see which suits you best, mine also love obedience and a bit of flyball.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-05-2008, 04:55 PM
I'd recommend agility to anyone, it is great fun for both dog and handler, and it is surprising how tired dogs can get after agility. I've also seen some pretty good staffy and their crosses doing agility.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I think agility is great for the dog both mentally and physically. It's also great fun.

I'm not sold on the idea of weight pulling yet, not really sure why but maybe i don't know enough about it. I think it might be because the forums that i have experienced for the SBT do seem to have people talking a lot about weight training, using flirt poles and a frames to build up muscle and not a lot about training good manners and self control. But maybe i am just assuming too much!